• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

For those who weigh their rabbits - How much fluctuation is normal?

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all,

I've only recently bought digital baby scales so i can regularly weigh my rabbits.
At their vet check ups in July they all weighed less than at home. I assume this was a calibration thing over anything else, although a few months had lapsed where I may :lol: have placated them too regularly during bonding, with huge piles of forage.

Mouse weigh ins: end of July (@ vet): 2.8 k 22/10/15 3.2 k 5/11/2015 3.05 k 13/11/15 3.09 k

Joey end of july (@ vet) 2.4k 22/10/15 2.58 k 5/11/2015 2.60 13/11/2015 2.52

Boo end of july (@ vet) 2.5 k 22/10/15 2.66 k 5/11/2015 2.71 k 13/11/2015 2.57 k

So is this kind of weight variation normal please?

Those weights look reasonable to me - they all went up a bit and are all dropping back towards their original weight, so are all following the same trend - which would fit with your generous forage weeks. Different scales may also give different measurements (as you can see from yours and vet scales), so for consistency you should compare weights from the same source.

I only weigh mine regularly (ie every week or 2 weeks) if there are major health issues, so I expect fluctuations then. If they are otherwise healthy, I would weigh them maybe monthly. I get mine done at the vet when they go for their vaccinations, and this is recorded on the vaccination card so I have a baseline to compare any changes against and a useful record eg if I need to work out doses for EC treatment.

Thanks Shimmer, that's reassuring. Mouse is edging up though & she is the bunny who should be moving down a little in weight - I've never seen a rabbit spend so much time eating hay - forage & veg she has in the same quantity as my smaller & slimmer Joey & Boo. Such a greedy girl

I don't weigh my rabbits regularly. I do hold them almost daily whilst cuddling and so usually feel if there's an issue so I don't need to stick them on the scales unless I'm worried.

The only thing I would remark on with your weight chart (well not YOUR weight chart :oops:) is Mouse's weight is going up. If you feel she needs the bit extra for winter time, that's good. If not .. difficult to keep it stable when she's sharing with the others? Perhaps more 'stair duty' for her? ;)

I don't weigh my rabbits regularly. I do hold them almost daily whilst cuddling and so usually feel if there's an issue so I don't need to stick them on the scales unless I'm worried.

The only thing I would remark on with your weight chart (well not YOUR weight chart :oops:) is Mouse's weight is going up. If you feel she needs the bit extra for winter time, that's good. If not .. difficult to keep it stable when she's sharing with the others? Perhaps more 'stair duty' for her? ;)

I can't get her interested in the stairs :) I have visions of me over encouraging her & ending up with broken something ! She is awake more often than Joey & Boo, troughing hay...which she lies down to eat!! (not always). I will start with reducing readigrass - I cut out the homemade bunny treats after the first weigh in. Bless her! she really does love her food (though Joey often snatches a fair bit of hers as is his duty)

I can't get her interested in the stairs :) I have visions of me over encouraging her & ending up with broken something ! She is awake more often than Joey & Boo, troughing hay...which she lies down to eat!! (not always). I will start with reducing readigrass - I cut out the homemade bunny treats after the first weigh in. Bless her! she really does love her food (though Joey often snatches a fair bit of hers as is his duty)

A good hay-eating bunny is worth her weight in gold! You could vary the hays if you take away the readigrass? I find when I diet my boarders (they always say they are coming to my spa :lol:) it's the pellets I cut right down. It seems to make a difference over several weeks, no matter how much hay/veg/forage/readigrass they consume.

And for a rabbit, eating pellets is such a transient pleasure as they are gobbled up so fast!

:lol: they are on baled hay ...no variety on that count (although I have purchased a fancy bag of timothy hay for Mouse's birthday next week, which was the price of 2 bales)

If she isn't heading in the right direction at her next weigh in I'll have to cut the pellets out :(

i've just told her what you wrote & she said you're a meanie trying to deprive her of her beloved nuggets:lol:

:lol: they are on baled hay ...no variety on that count (although I have purchased a fancy bag of timothy hay for Mouse's birthday next week, which was the price of 2 bales)

If she isn't heading in the right direction at her next weigh in I'll have to cut the pellets out :(

i've just told her what you wrote & she said you're a meanie trying to deprive her of her beloved nuggets:lol:

Now you and I know that's not true ;):lol:

Now you and I know that's not true ;):lol:

Well I asked them all & this was their reply

IMG_1087_zpsfr3sko28.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

:lol::lol:

Back