• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Compressed Meadow Hay

Plushlops

Young Bun
Hi I bought a 15 kg bale of compressed hay, the problem is I can't get it too seperate so I can give the buns handfuls, I can't give them the whole thing as it's far too big. Anyone got any tips or tricks on how I can use it?

Thanks

I know it is a pain! :cry:

I have a plastic bin (get one at dee millen) and open the bag up all the way halfway and try to 'cut' it halfway. That didn't exactly make sense :oops:

The best option is to move the hay into a different storage container. Not the best help but that what i did.

I had this problem as well and it hurt my fingers trying to get hay separate. In the end I put the whole bale in the bunnies shed and told them to get on with it. Didn't order any more as too expensive!

Put it in an old duvet cover and try to break it up in that? Once one bit has come loose, others may be easier to take off. Standard bales tend to break up into 'slices' about 6" thick, which can then be broken down further. They can be very difficult to get started if they are really heavy / compressed bales. Best done outside (somewhere dry) to avoid all the bits getting everywhere.

I put it in an old duvet cover and was still struggling to separate it so I hacked at it with a sharp knife! Then I felt a ping! It was only held together with rope! lol! I felt like a right ****. :oops: It took me days to realise. It came apart really easy after that and filled 6 black bags!

Back