• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Running out of excuses

Fellie

Warren Veteran
What excuse do you use if you wake up and one of the buns is ill and needs vet treatment straight away - BUT your work place doesn't understand the rabbits are just the same as human children to you and will give you hard time for taking time off to look after the rabbit?

I'm rapidly running out of excuses now - and having trouble remembering what excuses I've used (MUST remember I've only got one wisdon tooth left :lol:)

As awful as it sounds I once used an emergency holiday and said I was looking after my Nan and I really wasn't, I was looking after Milo when he had stasis. :oops:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. So far I've had tummy problems, headache's, dizzy spells, water works problems and I've also blamed the train a bit too as they are always late anyway. At the moment my manager wants me to have a medical just to make sure all's well!!! If the real reason was known to him he'd go bonkers!! But buns are worth it as I couldn't leave them all day knowing they may be unwell.

I've never taken a day off sick or anything for the buns, I just get up early enough to get them to vets and work locally incase I need to come home at lunch (but usually just leave them at the vets).

I have been to the vets a LOT recently with my four, and have been so thankful that my work is relatively flexible. I've often thought you'd be really scuppered as a teacher for example - or any job when you have to work fixed hours.

As awful as it sounds I once used an emergency holiday and said I was looking after my Nan and I really wasn't, I was looking after Milo when he had stasis. :oops:
g.png

yeah, Agreed with you

As a teacher, completely impossible to miss work because of pets. My mum comes to the rescue in such cases, and I have my phone nearby incase needed urgently. Otherwise, it's a worrying wait till break/lunch time when i might be lucky to catch a quiet 5 minutes to phone and see how they're getting on.
Thank goodness for my mum! :love:

I phoned in sick when Poppy had her spay. Told them i was ill with diarrhoea lol
I got all ready to go to work but when i picked her up she was all 'drunk' and falling over from the meds so i didn't want to leave her :-(

Never really needed to make excuses, my boss is really great as i've had alot on in the last year so she's been really helpful and anytime i do have off, i work it to make up. As much as I love my bunnies, it would feel wrong lying to my boss.

Haven't used this for the buns but car problems, the darn thing just died on me...which did actually happen but I got it moving again and didn't go in to work

I get up so that every morning there is enough time to go to the emergency vets, if I need to. 99% of the time I don't need to, but nothing will compromise the care my bunnies need and, with working in a school, taking time off is not an opportunity.

I must say though, the time I took a bunny to be PTS and then went straight to work, leaving the bunny in my car, nearly killed me. Awful stuff. Dad came and collected said bunny, and took him home, but that was horrible. No time to process or anything. Just death and then work.

I have to say I am extremely lucky in this regard. I work from home a couple of days a weeks anyway (Mondays and Thursdays) which is useful for routine vet check ups and my manager has always been extremely understanding in the past when I needed to take Scrappy to the vets on a different day and let me work from home on those days as well. As I have that flexibility I always try and book vet appointments on weekday mornings to keep Saturdays and evenings free for people who don't have that option.

I work in a school and have taken one day off when Winston was ill and had to go to the emergency vets. My view is that teachers have days off when their children are ill and they can't get childcare, so I feel in an emergency situation where my rabbits could die if they don't get to the vets asap it is acceptable to take a day of unpaid leave. I told them the truth as I could never lie about it!

My work were great when we had difficult times with my two troublesome buns.... I remember feeling very hurt when a few people had said "no more rabbits then, ey?" or "perhaps it's not a great idea to get any more!"...

WOULD THEY SODDING SAY THAT ABOUT A BABY IF YOU LOST THE POOR THING? A DOG? A CAT? A HORSE?!

NOOOO!!

Then don't bladdy say it about a rabbit :evil:

We are lucky that our vet has really long opening hours so if I can I will phone them at work and book and appointment for straight after work if I think it can wait.

Back