• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I had two rabbits and sadly now I only have one who is now being very aggressive

Scurby

New Kit
Does anyone have any suggestions. I had two rabbits and one got head tilt and was so unwell I had to have him out to sleep as he was in pain. My other rabbit is clearly confused but is now biting me whenever I get him out, not so much once he's out but during getting him out and putting him back. I know I need to find him a friend but how soon do you do that, he's only 10 months so can I get a baby and slowly introduce them or do I see if I can find an older bunny???

Sorry to hear you lost one bunny :(

Aggression is an odd thing with rabbits, if you're having to get him out to let him have a run around, he's basically associating your hands with grabbing and doesn't like it, not one bit! So he's defending himself in the hope the grabby hands go away. You would be better to let him come and go from his enclosure on his own and only use your hands for positive things - food, treats and nose rubs! They can be easily trained to go back on their own.

Is he neutered?

I am sorry you lost your rabbit:cry:

Regarding getting a friend to live with your remaining rabbit, in my opinion it depends on how soon you feel ready to get another one. When you decide the time is right, I would recommend that you contact a rescue near to you and enquire which rabbits are available for adoption. A rescue rabbit will probably already be vaccinated and neutered. Some rescues will even be able to offer to bond the two rabbits for you. Sometimes you can take your rabbit to the rescue and they will advise which rabbit would be suitable and your rabbit can also get to choose.

Best of luck!

Does your rabbit have plenty of space to run around? You mention getting him out, ideally rabbits need to be able to exercise 24/7 especially as they are most active between dawn and dusk when we are usually in bed.

Back