• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed on bonding a group

Millydance

New Kit
I have 8 bunnies at the moment, 2 of which have bonded. The remaining 6 - 4 males and 2 females; one of the males has just been neutered and I am fairly confident that I can bond him with one of the girls (she is unspayed atm). So, if all works out, I will have 2 bonded pairs. I would like to bond them into a group of 4. Both the girls are unspayed, but will be spayed eventually as soon as finances allow. So how to go about bonding 2 pairs into a group of 4? Any advice is very welcome :D

That leaves me with 3 males and one female. The girl bunny is fabulous - she was a rescue whom I took on almost a year ago. She is a rex, bought by a breeder, who was prepared to have pts because she failed to be profitable (she was only 11 months old when she came to me). She was described as aggressive. Almost a year on, having spent lots of time with her, her confidence is growing. Poor bunny girl was so terrified of people and her life experience was just dreadful, as was her experience of people. Last week, for the first time since she came to me, she let me run a soft brush over her coat. She will still snap at you if you approach her too quickly. However, once you have her in your arms for cuddles she totally relaxes and will cuddle up,front paws on each shoulder, head tucked into my neck, for hours and hours. And she gives me bunny kisses too. I adore this bun and I don't want her to live her life alone. I appreciate that having her spayed will, hopefully, calm her down. I'm very concerned that because of her past history, it's going to be very difficult to find her a husbun! Realistically, I would like to bond her with one of my single male bunnies, just not sure if this is feasible. She is such a BIG bunny, and he is quite teenie. All advice will be vey welcome. Thank you xxx

How to bond 2 pairs into a group of 4. Well really it's the same as any bonding, neutral territory and preferably all rabbits neutered. If there are 2 unneutered females then I would think there will be trouble unless you have a very strong (personality) buck who can keep them in order. You will need time to devote tothe bonding as they mustn't be left unsupervised, and you really need to know your rabbits as this will help you to understand how they are feeling and why they are behaving as they are.

It is a big project if you mean to do it properly with the welfare of all the rabbits in mind, as each rabbit has its own personality and feelings.

Also 4 rabbits will produce an awful lot of toilet and will need at least daily cleaning, otherwise bacteria can grow causing sickness. To keep rabbits healthy they must be kept clean. I have a group of 5 Netherlands and they need an awful lot of cleaning even though they are small rabbits. They are all family so have always been together.

Back