• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

brown stained teeth

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
what would cause teeth to suddenly become a bit brown? checked bisc over last night and checked his teeth as usual (he had an issue with the front teeth meeting together a couple of months back however they have returned to overlapping correctly now) - and his two lower teeth appear to be partly brown. it's odd because it's almost like someone has drawn a brown stripe down the centre of each one :?

bisc has always been a dental bunny. never an issue with the front teeth though until a couple of months ago - it was always the back teeth that needed attention.

he has also always had very yellow teeth all his life.

wondered if caecotrophs could be the cause as when he eats them his mouth will also smell for a while (he's also had issues with excess caecotrophs lately aswell but is now on treatment) - could they be staining his teeth? :?

any ideas? is this likely yet another problem :( will be consulting the vet of course but wondered if anyone had any thoughts. thank you.

Rabbits can have creamy/yellowish coloured teeth which are infact normal. However, if a change in the appearance of the enamel becomes evident this may be a part of Dental disease, as can the development of horizontal ridges on the upper incisors whilst the normal vertical groove may disappear. If Bisc has recently started to have issues with his incisors the colour change may be related. I am sure that Aiden will give you good advice :)

Rabbits can have creamy/yellowish coloured teeth which are infact normal. However, if a change in the appearance of the enamel becomes evident this may be a part of Dental disease, as can the development of horizontal ridges on the upper incisors whilst the normal vertical groove may disappear. If Bisc has recently started to have issues with his incisors the colour change may be related. I am sure that Aiden will give you good advice :)

thank you jane. this has happened because i posted on his other thread that things seemed to be going well with him at the moment :roll: he is overall but then it can randomly change with his tummy, and spondylosis, and teeth. it's hard to get the balance quite right with him.

i'll check his teeth again soon as o/h is up to help me and see if they look as brown and whether they have any horizontal ridges. i'm so worried that his back teeth are full of spurs and affecting the front teeth and we're just not doing anything about it - although he always has at least some evidence of a spur showing during consult exam and that means he is hiding more. vet obviously checks his teeth every visit and there is not even a hint of a spur. added to that, bisc has done his longest between dentals this time so i feel like it has to be coming soon. but then i feel like putting him through a GA just to check is a tad extreme, although something inside me wants to. i was worried about the metacam maybe masking symptoms but vet said it would still be obvious if he needed a dental, even with metacam because it's that uncomfortable for them with spurs etc. obviously his back being stiff sometimes means he doesn't want to eat as much. so i'm struggling to know which symptom is related to which problem, and in which order they've happened.

and i'm ranting... :oops: x

It's normal for bunnies to have brown stained teeth if they eat a lot of grass / forage (I'm reliably informed by FHB).

It's normal for bunnies to have brown stained teeth if they eat a lot of grass / forage (I'm reliably informed by FHB).

thank you. i wish he did have that diet but unfortunately he doesn't :( his diet is very limited due to his tummy issues and it's quite a poor diet aswell overall i think.

only new thing he's had recently is lettuce and he's been having it everyday x

thank you. i wish he did have that diet but unfortunately he doesn't :( his diet is very limited due to his tummy issues and it's quite a poor diet aswell overall i think.

aw that's a shame .. I can't imagine lettuce staining teeth although I don't know (could I use that excuse :lol:?) . I hope it's nothing to cause you more wory

I'm sorry to hear about your current worry, but I hope it's unfounded! In my experience bunnies get stained teeth for all sorts of reasons, and not serious or worrisome ...

By the way ... sshhh you mentioned the L word, and this is RU :shock::lol:

aw that's a shame .. I can't imagine lettuce staining teeth although I don't know (could I use that excuse :lol:?) . I hope it's nothing to cause you more wory

it would be odd if it did :shock: can't imagine it would though. i'll not eat any just incase though ;) x

I'm sorry to hear about your current worry, but I hope it's unfounded! In my experience bunnies get stained teeth for all sorts of reasons, and not serious or worrisome ...

By the way ... sshhh you mentioned the L word, and this is RU :shock::lol:

fingers crossed x

:lol: controversial lettuce! it seems to be suiting bisc really well so that's amazing. he's only had the one type so far but i'm hoping he will beable to have a variety over time to go alongside his thyme :)

It's normal for bunnies to have brown stained teeth if they eat a lot of grass / forage
g.png
(I'm reliably informed by FHB).
Agreed with you

agreed with what jane says

i feel like i'm losing the plot a bit... when we checked bisc's teeth again, they didn't look as dark as i had previously 'seen' - and o/h thinks they don't look much different and have always been dark :?

plus, bisc is actually eating alot more hay lately and he's in such a good place lately. i posted on his other thread but since then, these last couple of days, he's been the best i've seen him in probably months. the cisapride daily has made a huge difference so he must have always had some digestive discomfort aswell as from his spondylosis - to the point where he's even been on less metacam for it because he's been so well.

he's also been doing proper sprints for the first time in a long time, and loads and loads of little hops and head binkies. he's been so bright.

because of this, and because i have a tendancy to be paranoid anyway, o/h think we should continue to check his teeth every few days and if i still feel they're too dark/darker than they were, then we'll book him into the vets. but he thinks the journey of the vets now whilst he's well might undo it all and stress him out.

what do you all think? would bisc be acting so well if something was really wrong, considering how sensitive he is?

please no-one read this as me trying to get out of taking him to the vets. i would never do that. just struggling to trust my own mind at the moment :(

eta: we tried to take pics to send to the vet for now but they weren't clear enough.

Last edited:
To be honest if he is doing so well at the moment I'd just continue to monitor the teeth and have a feel along his jaw line for any unusual thickening/lumps. I am sure no-one on here would think you are trying to avoid taking him to the Vet for your benefit, there is no point in stressing him out when he is doing so well just now. You are always very vigilant and unlike some you would never not consult a Vet if it is necessary.

It's lovely to hear how bright Bisc is at the moment :D

i feel like i'm losing the plot a bit... when we checked bisc's teeth again, they didn't look as dark as i had previously 'seen' - and o/h thinks they don't look much different and have always been dark :?

plus, bisc is actually eating alot more hay lately and he's in such a good place lately. i posted on his other thread but since then, these last couple of days, he's been the best i've seen him in probably months. the cisapride daily has made a huge difference so he must have always had some digestive discomfort aswell as from his spondylosis - to the point where he's even been on less metacam for it because he's been so well.

he's also been doing proper sprints for the first time in a long time, and loads and loads of little hops and head binkies. he's been so bright.

because of this, and because i have a tendancy to be paranoid anyway, o/h think we should continue to check his teeth every few days and if i still feel they're too dark/darker than they were, then we'll book him into the vets. but he thinks the journey of the vets now whilst he's well might undo it all and stress him out.

what do you all think? would bisc be acting so well if something was really wrong, considering how sensitive he is?

please no-one read this as me trying to get out of taking him to the vets. i would never do that. just struggling to trust my own mind at the moment :(

eta: we tried to take pics to send to the vet for now but they weren't clear enough.

I felt when you first posted that this wasn't a serious issue with Bisc's teeth, and I feel you should let him enjoy his life for the moment. Of course no one on earth would read it as you trying to get out of taking him to the vets! But if it's not necessary now, then you may find it's necessary for some other reason within a few weeks and you can raise the subject then.

I'm all for 'if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it' :D

Back