• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on stable matting

Kipper

Mama Doe
My partner ordered black stable matting for our bunnies cages. When it arrived rather than being the rubber we expected it seems to be some sort of foam. (Partner's mistake not the seller) Our 8 year old mini Rex has sore paws. Will this matting be any use or should we return it? It feels quite spongy to the touch.

My partner ordered black stable matting for our bunnies cages. When it arrived rather than being the rubber we expected it seems to be some sort of foam. (Partner's mistake not the seller) Our 8 year old mini Rex has sore paws. Will this matting be any use or should we return it? It feels quite spongy to the touch.

If your Rabbit is not a chewer it should be OK, even if it may not be as sturdy as stable matting. But if your Rabbit chews then he/she will easily destroy it.

If the sore hocks/feet are a new development then it may be a good idea to get a Vet to check your Rabbit for any signs of age related osteo-arthritis. Sore hocks may be a frequent problem in Rex Rabbits, but if the issue occurs later in life and/or a pre-existing issue worsens with age then it is often because of a mobility problem as a result of age related arthritis.

Thanks Jane I knew I could rely on you. Shame you don't have a batphone lol. I'm not sure if he will chew it as I got a6x6 foot single piece so it covers the floor completely only problem being if they decide to dig. His sore hocks aren't new but even the little pads at the bottom of his claws on his front paws are. Until now I thought it was just his claws but despite years of trying to keep them short his claws just never were. All my other buns are ok but Pumpkin is the only Rex. He runs around my living room like a little nutter & has no problem jumping so don't think it's arthritis.

Thanks Jane I knew I could rely on you. Shame you don't have a batphone lol. I'm not sure if he will chew it as I got a6x6 foot single piece so it covers the floor completely only problem being if they decide to dig. His sore hocks aren't new but even the little pads at the bottom of his claws on his front paws are. Until now I thought it was just his claws but despite years of trying to keep them short his claws just never were. All my other buns are ok but Pumpkin is the only Rex. He runs around my living room like a little nutter & has no problem jumping so don't think it's arthritis.

:lol:

I've just had a thought ( as I was about to unwrap it) My rabbits sometimes have a "wee" accident on the floor of their cage. The felt flooring probably won't be waterproof (correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm going to send it back & wait for the rubber flooring to come through

I've just had a thought ( as I was about to unwrap it) My rabbits sometimes have a "wee" accident on the floor of their cage. The felt flooring probably won't be waterproof (correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm going to send it back & wait for the rubber flooring to come through

I was about to post that it might be difficult to clean if they wee on it

Back