• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

think snuffles is back

emmaclaire

Warren Scout
Hi my rabbit Alan had snuffles so took him to vets he put him on baytril for 10days after which he seemed a lot better, his nose dried up but it wasn't that runny anyway just wet like clear water his eyes were bright no runniness eating drinking pooing weeing all good but the noise has come back like a squeak. I've got him in vets tonight but will a steamy bathroom help him clear his airways in the meantime. I have a hunch it's something else as everything else is healthy apart from that bloody noise he's making I'm worried there's a serious underline problem xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi my rabbit Alan had snuffles so took him to vets he put him on baytril for 10days after which he seemed a lot better, his nose dried up but it wasn't that runny anyway just wet like clear water his eyes were bright no runniness eating drinking pooing weeing all good but the noise has come back like a squeak. I've got him in vets tonight but will a steamy bathroom help him clear his airways in the meantime. I have a hunch it's something else as everything else is healthy apart from that bloody noise he's making I'm worried there's a serious underline problem
g.png
Can you show me pics your Rabbit?

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice, but hope you and Alan got on ok at the vets - please let us know xx

How did you get on? xx

Well took Alan to the vets (waist of time) he examined him sed his teeth are in good condition for his age (8) his lung, chest are clear couldn't find anything wrong which is fantastic .he said I'm not going to give him any meds he's just got a squeak its quite cute really. I was gobsmacked I sed no antibiotics he said no, he did say with Netherlands they have a squashed up nose and sometimes abnormalities in the nostrils . What do you think of that u guys. Ps I don't know how to put video on x

Well took Alan to the vets (waist of time) he examined him sed his teeth are in good condition for his age (8) his lung, chest are clear couldn't find anything wrong which is fantastic .he said I'm not going to give him any meds he's just got a squeak its quite cute really. I was gobsmacked I sed no antibiotics he said no, he did say with Netherlands they have a squashed up nose and sometimes abnormalities in the nostrils . What do you think of that u guys. Ps I don't know how to put video on x

With regards to the possible involvement of the teeth in causing the nasal issues, it would be the tooth roots as opposed to the crowns of the teeth. Rabbit's have open rooted teeth and sometimes problems can develop as a result of tooth root elongation. The roots over-grow and can penetrate the nasal passages and/or occlude the nasolacrimal ducts. Tooth root elongation can only be diagnosed from skull radiographs, not just be looking at the crowns of the teeth. Nethies and other breeds with similar skull shapes are more prone to such problems, but they are in no way always going to be effected by it. What I am trying to say is whilst 'teeth issues' may not be involved for your Rabbit, I would not totally rule it out.

It is not always 'wrong' for a Vet not to prescribe antibiotics to a Rabbit exhibiting nasal 'squeaks' with no other clinical symptoms of an active bacterial infection. The over prescribing of antibiotics can do more harm than good-antibiotic resistance- and they should only be given when really needed as opposed to a 'just in case' scenario.

As you seem to not have a lot of confidence in the Vet you have just consulted maybe now would be the time to find one who is a bit more Rabbit savvy ? There are two excellent Exotics Vets here, if it is anywhere near you

http://www.manorvets.co.uk/edgbaston/

Marie Kubiak is at the Edgbaston branch

http://www.manorvets.co.uk/meet-our-team/10-marie-kubiak-/

Not sure which branch Molly Varga is based at

http://www.manorvets.co.uk/meet-our-team/290-molly-varga-/

Some vets would prescribe antibiotics for that and some wouldn't - I think it's a case 'on the borderline'. As for the teeth, it's impossible for a vet to see the back teeth clearly, and unless they have the confidence to do 'conscious dentals' (which not a lot of vets do) then the back teeth remain a mystery until under sedation.

I would certainly take Alan back if this squeak became any worse, or anything new developed. Is there another vet you think may have more confidence in dealing with rabbits near to you?

Back