• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with a cold

booboobunny

Warren Scout
I have literally just returned from the vets. I took my Florence to get her vaccinations but as the vet lifted her out of the carrier her nose ran all onto the table. I've not noticed that she has a runny nose until that point - I've definitely never seen it dribble out like that. The vet said she also has a bit of liquid in her chest too so she has a 'cold'. Anyway, she didn't have her vaccination :( .
She is absolutely fine in herself - she runs around, eats like a pig, normal pooping and peeing. So what can I do to speed up her recovery? I thought I had read someone on here talking about echinacea but I can't find where it was discussed.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to help her cold disappear quicker / not get worse?
Also, my other two rabbits are completely fine (I just checked their noses and eyes), even though they don't have actual contact with Florence should I take even more precautions when handling them all?

Firstly I didn't think rabbits could get a cold. The only reason I can think of for her having a runny nose is that it's to do with her teeth. I know it sounds bizarre, but I'm sure I'm right.

If it is a cold (which I doubt) then there wouldn't be a vaccination anyway - we don't get them do we? But I don't think it is.

Personally are you sure you have a rabbit savvy vet? Sorry to bring doubts into your mind but I am questioning your vet's knowledge.

I'd be very concerned if either of my rabbits were deemed to have liquid in their chest but no further investigations were done and it was simply passed off as a "cold".

I'm hoping that someone else with more knowledge can help you but I really have my doubts it is a cold.

I am wondering why your Vet didn't prescribe an antibiotic. Echinacea can be bought on line. I will try to find the link. www.Baldwins.co.uk e. liquid. Hope that is correct.

Last edited:
I have literally just returned from the vets. I took my Florence to get her vaccinations but as the vet lifted her out of the carrier her nose ran all onto the table. I've not noticed that she has a runny nose until that point - I've definitely never seen it dribble out like that. The vet said she also has a bit of liquid in her chest too so she has a 'cold'. Anyway, she didn't have her vaccination :( .
She is absolutely fine in herself - she runs around, eats like a pig, normal pooping and peeing. So what can I do to speed up her recovery? I thought I had read someone on here talking about echinacea but I can't find where it was discussed.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to help her cold disappear quicker / not get worse?
Also, my other two rabbits are completely fine (I just checked their noses and eyes), even though they don't have actual contact with Florence should I take even more precautions when handling them all?

Rabbits don't get 'colds' in the same way that humans do, but it's just a label anyway. Vets tend to call it snuffles!

You can boost anyone's immune system quite naturally with herbs - if you're worried you should check this with your vet before trying anything. I use Echinacea and I sprinkle it onto food. It usually works better than the vet's antibiotics :shock:

There are others you can use as well, so there's quite a lot you can do .. perhaps research on the Internet a bit?

Back