• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny has arrived

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Well about couple of weeks ago, I came across a 12 week old baby bunny on facebay Saying how he was too much for them and they needed to sell. This just broke my heart, he was such a cutie so me putting heart over head saying I would have him but in return to keep him for a month until my current bunny honey was better.

Yesterday I had a phone call saying I needed to go and collect him otherwise they were going to put the ad up on gumtree and remain to offer him for free. I know what this can mean for a little bun so stupidly off I went to collect him. He's currently in a cage & puppy pen set up in my porch however honey is now not right at all, I know she can obviously smell him and she's constantly on edge darting off everywhere which she has never done before & Being picky with her food which I just can't have.

So now my next dilemma obviously honeys happiness has to come first, do you think she will ever settle down? Or am I making a huge mistake? I currently have the new bunny booked in for a vet check up today so I'll get him vaccinated and also booked in for a neuter. But my heart is saying it's not fair on honey and maybe I may be best possibly giving him to someone else until I know honey is back to full health and then look to find another bunny for her?

Please guys I need some help xx

It is not unusual for a Rabbit to be 'on edge' if they become aware of a new arrival. This may be exacerbated if the original Rabbit is unwell as they will be feeling vulnerable and defensive. I would certainly keep new Rabbit in a completely separate room to Honey so she cannot even smell him. Being an entire Buck he will have an especially strong smell. He is also likely to spray urine and this just distributes the smell further

You will need to make sure that you do not handle Honey after handling the new Rabbit as you would smell of new Rabbit and that will upset Honey even more. Honey may well settle down after a few days and it will certainly help to get the new Rabbit neutered ASAP, obviously only if he is deemed to be well and not until at least 3 weeks after his vaccination. The vaccine needs 3 weeks for a full immune response to be established.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-67996.html

I would not make any rushed decisions right now. But you will need to accept that at the moment you have two Rabbits who's day to day needs will have to be met entirely separately. In the end it may be perfectly possible for Honey and the new Rabbit to become friends. But you need to prepare yourself for it to be a lengthy process, months as opposed to weeks given all the issues that need to be factored in.

Good luck :)

I'm sorry I don't have any advice but bless you for helping the little guy - I do hope it all works out for you xx

Great advice from Jane as always.

Well done for taking him in. Hope the bonding goes really well when the time (eventually) comes.

Thanks so much everyone and thanks Jane!

Really useful.. Well he is now fully in the porch and seperate to honey, although she still try's sneaking up to the door as she knows he's in their. And the new addition has started stamping his feet, little toad!

Being honest she has calmed down a lot since last night and is happily back chilling. We've even had 2 binkies this morning so I'm sure she can't be that stressed. Although I am thinking now what have I done?!? I must be absolulty mad.. But I'm adamant she'll be better off with some company.

Well the lady says he's now 13 weeks almost 14 but I really don't know as he's still really small and his balls haven't even dropped yet so in my eyes think he's younger, I'm going to see what the vets say this afternoon & defo check the sex.Oh & thanks for the info on neutering jane.. Unfortunately the vets I'm at, always encourage vaccinations first which I'm completely fine with & then as soon as 3 weeks are up.. He'll be neutered.

And thanks everyone, I'll see how I go.. Xx

It sounds to me like Honey is excited at having another rabbit nearby! Good luck with everything.

Hi all,

Well about couple of weeks ago, I came across a 12 week old baby bunny on facebay Saying how he was too much for them and they needed to sell. This just broke my heart, he was such a cutie so me putting heart over head saying I would have him but in return to keep him for a month until my current bunny honey was better.

Yesterday I had a phone call saying I needed to go and collect him otherwise they were going to put the ad up on gumtree and remain to offer him for free. I know what this can mean for a little bun so stupidly off I went to collect him. He's currently in a cage & puppy pen set up in my porch however honey is now not right at all, I know she can obviously smell him and she's constantly on edge darting off everywhere which she has never done before & Being picky with her food which I just can't have.

So now my next dilemma obviously honeys happiness has to come first, do you think she will ever settle down? Or am I making a huge mistake? I currently have the new bunny booked in for a vet check up today so I'll get him vaccinated and also booked in for a neuter. But my heart is saying it's not fair on honey and maybe I may be best possibly giving him to someone else until I know honey is back to full health and then look to find another bunny for her?

Please guys I need some help xx

Hi Ruth :wave:

There's your kind heart again!

I have encountered this situation - it sounds like Honey has her feet under the table and of course this newcomer ruffles everything! Especially a wee toy boy :D

Yes she will settle down eventually, but maybe not until you have bonded them, after he's neutered etc. She is of course mistress of all she surveys, and that includes him too!

You are not going to be able to keep him a secret from her however hard you try, short of him staying with a friend for the interim, but her behaviour is what I would expect under the circumstances.

g.png

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-67996.html

Good luck :)
Thanks for advice

Aww bless you for taking the new bun, even though I know you would have preferred to wait a bit longer because of poor Honey's ear infection. I'm afraid I can't offer any practical advice as I have zero experience in bonding bunnies myself! Don't forget that you've successfully re-bonded two buns before and there are lots of people on here with years of experience between them!

He's a very lucky bun having a lovely new home :love:

PS, any ideas on names?

Hi scrappy,

Whoops completely forgot to update this thread!

My god it's such a nightmare looking after them both, honey certainly doesn't like it when I go in there.. And like wise new little man doesn't like being on his own! Hmm really going monitor the situation over the next couple of days.

But in the meantime, I've named him bailey as he didn't have a name before bless him! And the vets have confirmed they think he is younger & probably only 11 weeks old - poor little mite!! So he was obviously taken from his mum earlier than we thought but he's had a full health check & had the all clear xx

Back