• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Potentially unwell bun, am I doing the right thing?

Casco

Mama Doe
One of my rabbits isn't quite himself today, I noticed earlier he was flopping down but sitting back up after a few seconds then flopping down again as if he was trying to get comfy and he has been generally looking quite sleepy and lazy since - not particularly unusual but just something about him has made me pay closer attention. Possibly just me being paranoid! I offered him hay with dried forage and he wouldn't touch it and I offered him a slice of carrot which he also wasn't interested in. I've been able to stroke him and pick him up a few times without him trying to get away, this is more unusual so along with him not eating I'm starting to get a little concerned.

I've put a fresh litter tray in their dog crate and closed the door so it's only him that's in there so I can monitor if he is peeing and pooping. The other litter tray is in the run for my other bun to use. Is it ok to keep them separate for a little while (only seperated by the bars, they can still see each other) or might this upset the other one if he can't get into the crate?

As I type actually he's started eating some of the hay so hopefully it's just me being paranoid. How long should I monitor his 'output' for? Is it ok as long as there's some normal poo there or should I monitor for longer? He's still nibbling at hay so I'm sure he's going to make me just look like some paranoid maniac :lol:

Aslong as he's eating and pooing I think he will be ok until tomorrow when I would personally book a vet appointment to get him checked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have to be paranoid with rabbits! Otherwise we can be too late. It sounds like your bunny had a bit of a tummy ache that's why he kept lying down then getting up. So, keep a close eye on him, and as you say he is nibbling hay so this is a positive sign, and by tomorrow he should be back to normal. Now if he isn't then it's to the Vet you had better go. I wouldn't separate him from his friend (are they normally together?) as this may add to the stress of the pain he might have. Try tempting him with things he usually likes. Well done for being so observant!

I only shut him in the crate to make sure he was pooping, wasn't sure how to monitor this otherwise as it's hard to tell which one has produced the goods when they share a litter tray. What is the best way to tell if he is pooping? He's moving around a bit now so I'll let him back out and keep watching him.

He's been absolutely fine, maybe just a bit of gas earlier on or maybe he was very tired! He's been eating hay, wolfed down his pellets as normal and been hopping around the living room as normal this evening too. Oh and he's moving away if I approach him which is more like him :lol:

sick bobby

hi we have a mini lop who is not well my wife nticed he was licking his back a lot then flopping out so we took him to the vets who said he has hurt his lower back some how really upset .his breathing is quite fast due to being in pain so the vet gave us some loxicom painkillerand said to leave him in his hutcth for 10 to 14 days which is really dificult as he has the freedom of the garden and house. any feedback would be helpful

Hi Chalkie48. I advise you to start a new thread in Health outlining your concerns about Bobby. I think that is the best way to get advice from the more experienced members of the forum. How confident are you that your vet is rabbit savvy?

Sending loads of vibes to Bobby.

Back