• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not eating cecotropes

Mrs Carr

Warren Scout
So the last 3 mornings I've found cecotropes on the floor and I'm at a bit of a loss why. We haven't changed Buddy's diet at all, he has unlimited hay, a handful of fresh veggies a day plus a scoop of Excel pellets at night ( about an egg cup size) and the very occasional piece of banana as a treat. Bob is on the exact same diet and has had no problems at all.

Only change that we have made is allowing him free run of the flat overnight instead of putting him back in his pen but is it even possible for that to have upset him?

Any ideas? Should I cut back the veg? The pellets?

Yes that could have upset him so I would put him back in his pen at night and see what happens. If it's still the same perhaps cut back on the veg and 3/4 eggcup would be enough anyway. Which pellets do you use?

So the last 3 mornings I've found cecotropes on the floor and I'm at a bit of a loss why. We haven't changed Buddy's diet at all, he has unlimited hay, a handful of fresh veggies a day plus a scoop of Excel pellets at night ( about an egg cup size) and the very occasional piece of banana as a treat. Bob is on the exact same diet and has had no problems at all.

Only change that we have made is allowing him free run of the flat overnight instead of putting him back in his pen but is it even possible for that to have upset him?

Any ideas? Should I cut back the veg? The pellets?

I doubt letting him free range would have caused this difference. If he normally eats them all, then it's usually down to diet. Does he share his food with Bob? If so, he could have eaten more than his fair share?

It's usually down to excess pellets or additional fruit/veg. I should cut out the fruit and give more variety of hay ...

Bob is penned separately as he hasn't been neutered yet so he can't have managed to get any of his food. Pellets are Burgess excel junior and we feed 2 varieties of Timothy hay ..... One with carrot/dandelion and one with dandelion/marigold ( no particular reason for feeding both kinds except that he seemed to get bored with the the first variety so we swap them round to make sure he eats plenty)

We just started letting him free roam at night as he found out he can jump the pen lol ...... Didn't want him jumping out then not being able to get back in for his water/hay/litter tray through the night and he already free roams through the day if we're home anyway. I'll try cutting down on his pellets tonight and see how he goes, will feel so bad tho cos he gets soooo excited when he gets them

Bob is penned separately as he hasn't been neutered yet so he can't have managed to get any of his food. Pellets are Burgess excel junior and we feed 2 varieties of Timothy hay ..... One with carrot/dandelion and one with dandelion/marigold ( no particular reason for feeding both kinds except that he seemed to get bored with the the first variety so we swap them round to make sure he eats plenty)

We just started letting him free roam at night as he found out he can jump the pen lol ...... Didn't want him jumping out then not being able to get back in for his water/hay/litter tray through the night and he already free roams through the day if we're home anyway. I'll try cutting down on his pellets tonight and see how he goes, will feel so bad tho cos he gets soooo excited when he gets them

Yes, virtually all buns go crazy for their pellets .. That's why manufacturers make them so tasty!!

Make the pellets a treat and try and keep a note of how much hay he's eating. It's really hard to deal with uneaten squashy poos around the place :shock:

Back