• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies Smelly Bottom!

chloe60

Young Bun
Hi everyone, im after some advice. Very early this morning i looked in my bunnies crate after noticing a very strong unpleasant smell and noticed there was very soft mushy, unformed poop however stuck onto it also was his normal dry poop. I dont have a picture as i showed my mam and put it in the bin straight away as it was really unpleasant.

Hes still eating and drinking so im not worried. However he is slighlty lethargic and didnt come to greet me this morning. He is 12 weeks old. His bum really smells bad and i was wondering if there was a way i could get the poop of him and get rid of the smell. To avoid flystrike.

Also, what could this be? His poos were fine all yesterday, just this morning but he was still eating this morning. Is there anything i can do to get his poops like normal? I havent changed anything in his diet.

I should also mention hes on Baytril at the moment for a week. Could this be what is causing the mushy, unformed poops. The reason im asking if theres anything i can do at home is because im not able to get to the vets today and my room smells really bad.

Sorry its long, thankyou for any advice you can give me :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I think you need to see a vet. Young rabbits can go downhill fast with stomach upsets and it's sounds like your bunny has a problem. Other RU users will be knowledgeable about whether the Baytril is causing the issue.

Why is he on Baytril ?

Is he passing normal fecal poo a well as the 'mushy poo' ?

Antibiotics may cause some GI tract disturbances, but in a Baby Rabbit this can be more serious than in an adult so as Sarahbun has advised, you do need to seek the advice of your Vet.

If the smell you mention is similar to that of a Farmyard then it is essential you speak with a Vet today. Unformed poos that have a very 'Farmyard like' smell is very indicative of Coccidiosis.

Hopefully the problem is a minor upset caused by the antibiotics, but I really do advise you to contact a Vet for their advice today.

Hi everyone, im after some advice. Very early this morning i looked in my bunnies crate after noticing a very strong unpleasant smell and noticed there was very soft mushy, unformed poop however stuck onto it also was his normal dry poop. I dont have a picture as i showed my mam and put it in the bin straight away as it was really unpleasant.

Hes still eating and drinking so im not worried. However he is slighlty lethargic and didnt come to greet me this morning. He is 12 weeks old. His bum really smells bad and i was wondering if there was a way i could get the poop of him and get rid of the smell. To avoid flystrike.

Also, what could this be? His poos were fine all yesterday, just this morning but he was still eating this morning. Is there anything i can do to get his poops like normal? I havent changed anything in his diet.

I should also mention hes on Baytril at the moment for a week. Could this be what is causing the mushy, unformed poops. The reason im asking if theres anything i can do at home is because im not able to get to the vets today and my room smells really bad.

Sorry its long, thankyou for any advice you can give me :)

I'm so sorry to hear of your baby bun's problem. Baytril can certainly cause a gut upset in the short term.

Can you ring your vet asap (presumably that's who gave you the Baytril for him?) and explain what's happened and seek his advice?

I'm so sorry to hear of your baby bun's problem. Baytril can certainly cause a gut upset in the short term.

Can you ring your vet asap (presumably that's who gave you the Baytril for him?) and explain what's happened and seek his advice?
She doesnt work on weekends. I got given the baytril on wednesday and hes been pretty much fine. His poos were fine just this morning. Hes eating drinking and playing and stuff so i dont have concerns there i just think hes a little bit gassy and i dunno if theres ways to ease that without stressing him out too much by going back to the vets and i dont see it as a concern right now since he is pretty much normal barring his poos x

She doesnt work on weekends. I got given the baytril on wednesday and hes been pretty much fine. His poos were fine just this morning. Hes eating drinking and playing and stuff so i dont have concerns there i just think hes a little bit gassy and i dunno if theres ways to ease that without stressing him out too much by going back to the vets and i dont see it as a concern right now since he is pretty much normal barring his poos x

What I would recommend for gas is the infant meds Infacol and tummy rubs. Do PM me if I can be any more help ...

Back