• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits not spayed or vaccinated.

Fruitbat99

New Kit
Hiya. I have 2 female rabbits and I got them in May 2014 when they were little. I haven't spayed them but they are kept together and don't cause any problems except they have a nibble at each other sometimes when one robs the other ones food in fact the grey one is quite aggressive towards me when I try to take the brown one out the cage to check or let out. They behave fairly well towards each other and when I let them out in back garden they stick around together and dig up the plants and starting making wholes to sit in them (that's in summer time mainly). Their cage is kept well clean and they sleep on straw or hay depending on which I have in the shed.

However, I did not get them vaccinated either mainly due to the fact I was reading all over th internet saying that rabbits don't really need vaccination if they live in a caged area. They keep themselves clean and don't have any lumps or anything related as they eat and drink normally. They both have dewlaps under their chins which Vets on Internet say is normal so I'm fine with that. Their paws or feet don't really know how to refer to them are checked regularly and if needed are cut.

Thing that bothers me is, because I hadn't spayed or vaccinated them, can it be harmful to them? And if I can get it done how much will it cost and is it compulsory to have rabbits spayed and vaccinated?

Hiya. I have 2 female rabbits and I got them in May 2014 when they were little. I haven't spayed them but they are kept together and don't cause any problems except they have a nibble at each other sometimes when one robs the other ones food in fact the grey one is quite aggressive towards me when I try to take the brown one out the cage to check or let out. They behave fairly well towards each other and when I let them out in back garden they stick around together and dig up the plants and starting making wholes to sit in them (that's in summer time mainly). Their cage is kept well clean and they sleep on straw or hay depending on which I have in the shed.

However, I did not get them vaccinated either mainly due to the fact I was reading all over th internet saying that rabbits don't really need vaccination if they live in a caged area. They keep themselves clean and don't have any lumps or anything related as they eat and drink normally. They both have dewlaps under their chins which Vets on Internet say is normal so I'm fine with that. Their paws or feet don't really know how to refer to them are checked regularly and if needed are cut.

Thing that bothers me is, because I hadn't spayed or vaccinated them, can it be harmful to them? And if I can get it done how much will it cost and is it compulsory to have rabbits spayed and vaccinated?

It is almost always better to have Does spayed at the earliest opportunity, not only for the prevention of unwanted pregnancies and for the minimising of 'hormonal behaviour' (eg pseudopregnancies, territorial aggression), but also for the prevention of uterine infections and uterine cancer. The latter being a common finding in Does aged 5+, some can be effected as young as just 3.

The RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund) provide a lot of useful leaflets covering all aspects of Rabbit care, including those relating to the importance of neutering and vaccinating. The RWAF website appears to be down at the moment, but this link will take you to their Home Page once the technical problems (I assume) are resolved.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ There is a section entitled 'Information and Leaflets' that is where you will find the details about the importance of neutering and vaccinating.

Are you in the UK ? If so then it really is essential that your Rabbits are vaccinated against Myxomatosis and Rabbit Viral Haemorrhagic Disease (Also referred to as 'RVHD' or 'RHD' or 'VHD' ) The latter is almost always fatal, there is no treatment or cure. It is also highly virulent and if there are a lot of Rabbits kept in close proximity then if one Rabbit contracts VHD it is likely that most of the others will be lost to it too.

Indoor Rabbits are just as at risk as outdoor Rabbits, both Myxomatosis and VHD can be transmitted by blood sucking insects such as fleas and mosquitoes. There are other modes of transmission too. Whilst it is of course the right of a Rabbit owner to choose not to vaccinate their Rabbits I personally cannot understand why that choice would be made if the Rabbits were fit and well.

All Vets set their own fees, so to obtain a quote you would need to ask the specific Surgery your Rabbits are registered with. As a very rough guide a spay could cost about £80.00- £120. The Myxo-RHD Vaccination about £20-£25 each.

Dewlaps are not normal and are a result usually of overfeeding so maybe you could consider your rabbits' diet and adjust it in order to prevent any future problems. Their main food should be hay to keep teeth and digestion in order. I agree with Jack's-Jane regarding neutering and vasccination. The 2 must not be done at the same time ie at least 3 weeks after vacc you can have your bun nies spayed. :thumb:

I'm sure that as you've searched the Internet for info on rabbits/vaccination etc, then you can easily find info on spaying female rabbits and why it's worth doing, so I won't go into the details here. Female rabbits get dewlaps when they are unsprayed - it's unlikely if you spayed now that it would disappear or reduce in size.

The fact you are here querying whether you should do it means you are thinking it's something that *might* be a very good thing?

Have a look at all the info provided by the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund. I helped to provide the info for their leaflets and they are very informative both on vaccinations and healthcare in general - a great site to get to know.

You will have to find yourself a very good vet to do the spaying - well worth every penny as most on here would agree!

Good luck xx

You say they have straw or hay depending what you have in the shed. Just to clarify, rabbits need constant access to unlimited hay for their digestive systems and teeth. Their diet needs to consist of at least eighty per cent hay.

Good luck with your decision.

Back