• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny hates me :(

chloe60

Young Bun
So on monday we noticed my 12 week old bunny, Jett wasnt quite right. He wasnt himself so we took him over to the vets to see if there was a problem which there was a slight problem. He had a mild case of something which im not really sure to pronounce.

Anyways she prescribed Baytril to be given for 7 days. Problem is Jett is very sensitive around his mouth and he hates the syringe resulting in him hating me because he hates having to take it. We try and disguise it with juice like the vet says and it helps a little.

Anyways after the medicine he just hides away and doesnt want to come and play with me like usual. Im scared that i will lose all of the trust i built up with him since when i got him last week. He was finally getting used to me and would come and lay with me but now he doesnt.

Is there anything i can do to help him trust me whilst hes on the treatment and so he keeps trusting me when hes finished the treatment also? Thankyou. :)

60f89c1d7e89b44976c150e71532e91e.jpg

3179a744a9e2c0e0e1731b2b0ffe6b15.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Aww, I know, it's heartbreaking isn't it :( you love them and want to help, but it makes them scared of you. It is very hard, but you just have to remember that giving him the meds is going to make him better. He WILL trust you again, it may just take a few weeks. Make sure you just sit in the room with him when it isn't medicine time, and offer him treats etc. he'll come round eventually :) xx

Aww, I know, it's heartbreaking isn't it :( you love them and want to help, but it makes them scared of you. It is very hard, but you just have to remember that giving him the meds is going to make him better. He WILL trust you again, it may just take a few weeks. Make sure you just sit in the room with him when it isn't medicine time, and offer him treats etc. he'll come round eventually :) xx
I never had this problem with my last bunny, Oscar. But he was seriously ill when i had to give him his medicines but it never affected the trust he had with me. I suppose im just an impatient person. He just tries to jump and kick. Good job hes only a small bunny though. Just gave him a little treat and he seemed to cone round a little bit. Thankyou :) xx

I never had this problem with my last bunny, Oscar. But he was seriously ill when i had to give him his medicines but it never affected the trust he had with me. I suppose im just an impatient person. He just tries to jump and kick. Good job hes only a small bunny though. Just gave him a little treat and he seemed to cone round a little bit. Thankyou :) xx

You haven't had him very long though, so he hasn't got to know you properly yet :) I'm sure he'll be fine once his meds are finished x

Rabbits live in the moment. He will come to trust you again i am sure.

He looks ever so sweet.

I think hes stressed at the moment with having to have the medicine is there anything i can do to ease it? So he can be more relaxed until his medication is done?

Exactly this!

He will come around when he realises he can trust you. Animals do live in the moment, or more particularly - FOR the moment. This means he will have a memory of what he was unhappy about. They don't forget just because they live in the moment!

However, creating new experiences between the two of you will outweigh any past feelings, over time.

Good luck xx

Exactly this!

He will come around when he realises he can trust you. Animals do live in the moment, or more particularly - FOR the moment. This means he will have a memory of what he was unhappy about. They don't forget just because they live in the moment!

However, creating new experiences between the two of you will outweigh any past feelings, over time.

Good luck xx
Thankyou, hes just very tense and stressed at the moment. The only thing thats winning him around is carrot and obviously i cant give too much of that right now especially since im just gradually adding veg into his diet. Im trying to just give him the space he needs but still sit on the floor incase he does want to come to me. He just keeps pushing my hand away whenever i go to stroke him and i dont want him to get annoyed at me.

Thankyou for the reassurance. Cant wait for this course to be over with... xx

Back