• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something I noticed with Bunbun's weight

FredW

Alpha Buck
ok, some of you may know that I have been struggling with Bunbuns getting her weight down. When she was spayed they said she had a lot of fat around her organs and it really needed to come down. I have tried getting her weight down very slowly and gradually, and it is slowly going down. really slowly. but it is getting there. She is a lot more active already and is eating a lot more hay than before. But something is concerning me a bit. I am sure I can feel her spine a lot more than what I should be able to. Fluffy has a lot more of a softer feel to his spine, hers is quite easy to feel. yet her tummy is still big. she is still overweight, yet extremely active, always playing and seems extremely happy, binking, making her cute little grunting noises she does so well, and loads of teeth purring's when she gets cuddles. So I don't know if she is fine and I am just not use to her being a bit slimmer, or if she is loosing weight in the wrong places? she feels very much like two rabbits. thin shape on top, overweight shape in the tummy area. hope any of this made any sense, but any help is welcome.

That makes perfect sense. Mouse is the same, she is so skinny feeling down her spine. She has a belly though & I have to take it on good authority (Camp Nibble & frances-harcourt brown) she could still do to lose a bit. Too me she feels too thin & Mouse has told me herself I don't feed her enough. Girls tend to carry weight on their underside, not Boo though, she is all round stocky

As she is exercising & healthy the spine becoming more prominent is probably a good sign she is losing some weight

Thanks Louise. you made me feel better now. was thinking. do I need to go to the vet to be sure. but he always says she is fine just too fat. and the one from the rescue who saw her fairly recently said she seemed fine, just a bit too heavy still. but you know what us bunny parents can be like, panic about everything, don't we lol
now I can relax and keep going with things as they are. it's the first time I really started noticing it, so looks like my new food plan is starting to work, woot woot :)

I think as the buns weight goes down and they get more active, the muscle over their backs will build up. Then they won't feel so boney.

ah yeah that makes sense. so hard when you're used to a chubby bunny and then you suddenly notice things like that. :)

I've always noticed that females tend to carry weight beneath and so can have prominent spines. Always good to see if there's any weight lurking there before feeding them up :lol:

Males seem to carry it more evenly distributed!

I've always noticed that females tend to carry weight beneath and so can have prominent spines. Always good to see if there's any weight lurking there before feeding them up :lol:

Males seem to carry it more evenly distributed!
Unfortunately more so in bunny world than the human world :lol:

Back