• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bonding bunny....Qs

jinsta

New Kit
Morning Hoppers

Earlier this week we sadly lost our male rabbit Snowy to a fox :cry: our female Fluffy is quite sad at the moe, pretty much spending most her time in the hutch, turns away on any contact and eating...but not as much as she normally would (even only half eating treats which is well outside her norm character)

I had both buns for about 5years and adopted of a pal who had for around a year prior, so really really well bonded. Our rabbits are outdoor bunnies and pretty much have free range of the whole backyard as fenced all sides (more so now)

I’m after a little advice on getting a new friend for Fluffy - It'll be a Male again, but should I be looking for one of similar age, a young'un or just one that’s a little grown? will he need to have prior outdoor exp or do buns naturally adapt if houseys? Should i try introduce now or give it some time? If say I got a friend and they didn’t get on straight away, is it likely they will continue to be this was or after a period…would they just kind of learn to accept each other, Is she even better left as a lone bunny?

I have a spare hutch for the intro period, but worried Fluffy not accepting him. I don’t have a ‘new’ surrounding for the two to experience together unless I force into the house, but Fluffys never felt comfortable indoors (we leave the door open but will only ever come up to boundary/never actually cross it)

She much prefers outdoor spaces/being able to retreat to the hutch whenever and doesn’t like too much handling either (will come greet you/sit next to you, likes a stroke, eats out of your hand…but never been keen on being picked up/lap sat even - snowy didn’t mind).

We have had guinee’s over a few times when neighbours have been on hols and she never acted territorial or anything, but always had her pal around – no idea how she be now

I’ve read speed dating when looking for a pal is a good idea, but I know Fluffy won’t like being forced into a new surroundings, being handled too much or even the car ride to/fro (I don’t really want to stress her out either)

I don’t know much about breeds so would getting thet ‘same’ type help even? Heres fluffy and late snowey (pics about 3years old now)

Snowey
IMG_00181.jpg

Fluffy
IMG_00285.jpg

Thanks in advance

I'm sorry you lost Snowey - both bunnies are gorgeous. Poor Fluffy too, having to deal with the fox trauma & bereavement. From what I understand theres a really high chance of the fox returning so I would recommend prioritising Fluffy's safety through safe, predator proof housing.

Re bonding: I take it Fluffy is spayed? Mixed sex pairings are easier, the other stuff (age, breed, size) is much less significant than personality to rabbits. If you anticipate keeping rabbits for the forseeable future it might be wiser to get a slightly younger rescue rabbit to make insurance etc cheaper. Rabbits shouldn't be moved from inside to outside at this time of year but you're unlikely to find a rescue that houses bunnies inside.

I'm so sorry you lost your rabbit to a fox.

Before considering another rabbit I advise fox proofing your hutch and run to keep Fluffy safe - as the fox will be back.

Thanks for replies peeps. Just got back in from work and sadly Fluffys just passed away :(
I think the shock of the fox and lack of snowy has just been way to much for her - she was majorly stressed but was hoping it would pass.

for what it's worth, their house is solid...no way in, solid grills and decent wood structure. Fox came during playtime when they were in the garden, fluffy ran and hid in our tube run, snowy was quick but not as lucky :( first in 5years, gutted as we have near 6ft walls all round

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about you rabbits :(

Did the fox get to them while they were free ranging? Unfortunately fences won't keep foxes out, they are almost like cats in that regard.

so sorry that the fox got your bunny. we have one that we feed every night and i have chickens as well, he sometimes comes around in the day but just trots pass the house, he knows i will feed him later on and never in the day. foxes will try their luck any time in the day or night, once they have found a way in he will be back. you will be surprised how high they can jump and climb or dig under to get there dinner. i am sorry that the other bunny died from the stress. if you do get another pair, please don't leave them alone in the garden to play, it only takes a minute for the fox to get in. good luck for the future if you have another pair.

Thanks for replies peeps. Just got back in from work and sadly Fluffys just passed away :(
I think the shock of the fox and lack of snowy has just been way to much for her - she was majorly stressed but was hoping it would pass.

for what it's worth, their house is solid...no way in, solid grills and decent wood structure. Fox came during playtime when they were in the garden, fluffy ran and hid in our tube run, snowy was quick but not as lucky :( first in 5years, gutted as we have near 6ft walls all round

So sorry to hear this :cry:

It's a balance to give our bunnies the best quality of life, but also to protect them.

Back