• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Im sure the vet is wrong

littleoreo

New Kit
Hi all.
This is my first post so I hope Im doing it right. Oreo is 15 weeks now and Im sure he has mites. I have seen things crawling on the outside of his ears. Little tiny white specs. but they are definitly moving. I have taken him to the vets twice now and each time he has pulled some hairs and looked at them under the microscope. He says its just dandruff. both myself and my husband have seen these things move. Can I get something online myself? I don't want to pay out again to go to the vets and would like to get a treatment as cheap as possible , but one that's safe and effective. Can anyone give me any advice? thanks in advance

Mites can appear as dandruff or they leave it behind I think? It's called walking dandfruff too anyway!
When my bf and I took on Leo, he had a very bad case of mites. His vet prescribed shampoo and a bath once a week (no way!) but our vet (and his vet now) gave us xeno treatment and we also combed out the dandruff daily using a nit comb and wiped it with warm water as his were so bad and thick it left a patch of skin!

But the treatment cost £9 I think.. Not 100%, but definitely get it from your vets and not the bob Martin stuff!

And welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Maybe take him to another vet? I saw moving things on my bunnies yesterday and took them to the vets, she did the same as yours under the microscope and said it was lice.

The mite Cheyelettelia (sp) leaves "dandruff" and you need a course of Ivermectin from your Vets. It isn't expensive. Maybe you could start a new thread advising of a rabbit savvy vet in your area. The mite is sometimes activated by stress.

I must agree with tonibun. Mites are treated with Ivermectin usually by two injections once a week. The amazing thing is that one of my parrots was given that for internal parasites over 20 years ago. He was a wild caught poicephalus. He had little white worms coming out of his bottom at night. The vet gave the medication by gavage (a tube into the beak, down to the stomach). The surprising thing is Ivermectin was originally used as a sheep dip in Australia. Parrot (Holly) is still a lovely pet. I've had him 22 yrs no idea of age, Thankfully they are mo longer imported. Good luck with your bunny.

I must agree with tonibun. Mites are treated with Ivermectin usually by two injections once a week. The amazing thing is that one of my parrots was given that for internal parasites over 20 years ago. He was a wild caught poicephalus. He had little white worms coming out of his bottom at night. The vet gave the medication by gavage (a tube into the beak, down to the stomach). The surprising thing is Ivermectin was originally used as a sheep dip in Australia. Parrot (Holly) is still a lovely pet. I've had him 22 yrs no idea of age, Thankfully they are mo longer imported. Good luck with your bunny.

Awww 22 years with your parrot. That must be amazing.

Awww 22 years with your parrot. That must be amazing.
Hello, Large parrots can live 100 years. I have an African Grey of my own, an African Grey that I foster and I have my little Poicephalus Brown Headed, Holly. The greys are both 22yrs old. No idea on Holly's age as he is an import. They are all so very clever. They love it when I have a bunny indoors. They usually say "Goodness, where's that rabbit?" I also have a little canary, Pixie. The parrots call him 'Nary'.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

g.png
I use this one which is a bottle but I have 3 large rabbits http://www.vetpharmacy.co.uk/small-...l/pharmaq/ivermectin-drops-1-5ml-pd-1284.html

but you can also use this one http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...xeno-450-6-pipettes-ivermectin-spot-on-p-1500

Thanks for link advice

Back