• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing children to rabbits for the first time...

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
I'm meeting my OH's daughter for the first time on Saturday. She's never had rabbits and doesn't know much about them. When he drops me off home, we want to introduce her to the buns. I already know Elphie and Galinda are the calmer pair so it would be them. But what's the best way to go about it for everyone?

She's 6, by the way.

Maybe if she sits on the floor with some of the bunny's favourite treats, then let them come to her?

I agree - get her to sit on the floor with treats - with my nieces and nephews I encourage them to hold the treats in the palms of their hands and not fingers (like when giving a treat to a horse) to prevent any nasty accidental nipping of fingers.

Children can get excited around rabbits and she may want to chase after the rabbits when they bounce away - so try to discourage that.

And noise - excited squealing is obviously a no-no so do try and keep the child as quiet as you can just whilst the buns get used to her being there.

That's more or less what I thought, but I guessed it was best to ask anyway. See what other people's experiences are and so on. :) Thankfully, Elphie and Galinda are pretty unshakeable for rabbits and very food orientated (and will eat ANYTHING) so that will be easy.

Athena and Apollo are definitely too flighty and stubborn to be a kid's first experience. Sometimes they give me a run for my money :lol:

Am sure it will go smoothly - a few of my buns really don't like little humans but on the whole the others are okay as long as the little humans pay their visitors tax on time :lol:

Love your buns names!!!

I have a 3 year old who loves my rabbits and can get a bit over excited and loud. I tell him that the rabbits have big ears so they can hear everything extra loud so he can't squeal. I get him to sit on the floor and stroke them, he likes them to sit on his knee, which they will tolerate. If he is outside with them on the patio I will let him run and jump as my previous bunny Ruby used to love this, her and my son would binky together

We've had a few of our girls friends over in the past who are not used to rabbits. We always run through a few do's and don'ts before they actually meet the buns (in a nice way suitable for their age obviously, just like "we don't pick them up" and " let them come to you" type of thing).
If you lead by example I'm sure she will soon get used to the way in which you expect them to be treated.
Good luck x

Back