• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to manage an indoor rabbit?

kierrraaaa

New Kit
So I have a cute bunny (French Lop) which I keep in my flat. I have bought him a 2 story rabbit cage, however I would like to purchase an indoor run to allow him to be able to exercise whenever he wants to. I bought a run which was a metal 8 sided run which he can lift up and escape, I also tried letting him free roam in what I call the 'rabbit room' but he chewed the carpet and destroyed a corner of it (this is rented accommodation). So now I have no idea what to do so that he can exercise without him escaping a rabbit run or destroying the carpet. Does anyone have any recommendations on what the best type of indoor rabbit run I can purchase? I definitely need one with a base!

We have a heavy duty puppy pen which I'm pretty sure (hope!) he can't lift. It doesn't have a base though xx

I'm thinking of doing the same and was going to use an 8 sided run but attach it to a wooden base covered in lino or similar.

I put puppy panels all round the edge of the room and put cardboard and newspapers on the floor. Kept two rabbits in half my (huge) bedroom quite happily.

Panels around half the room in this picture.

Safety warning rabbits can damage their legs getting caught in wire doors like that. Best to remove the door or cover it with card or carpet.

Last edited:
My bunny is a ninja when it comes to eating our walls and skirting boards (also a rented apartment - thank god my boyfriend is a carpenter!!). In the end we bought her a run that is meant for outside but we use it indoors. It's made out of wood and there's no way of her escaping! She comes out of her run when I'm supervising her (of course when I watch her she's an angel) and when I'm out she's happily in her run :D

20150614_140934.jpg

I have laminate flooring rather than carpet but I still have an off cut of lino under their pen. They have a dog crate with attached 8 panel puppy pen - mine have also been able to lift the pen although have only escaped once and that was when I had bought an extra puppy pen and added in another 6 panels to their run, I think it was because the straight line was longer (4 panels long) it made it easier to lift than when there are more corners to the run. I tried cable ties to hold the panels together better but the rabbits bit them off. If yours is escaping quite easily then maybe a heavy duty pen would be better, putting some non slip lino under the pen should save your carpet. I have a doormat and a runner on top of the lino too so they have something warmer to sit on.

Back