• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do your rabbits drink?

Ailstar

Mama Doe
Levi and Daisy have been staying at my parents house for the last year after I moved out, I'm waiting for my dad to build a new run for them before they move to mine full time. However I have them at the moment as my parents are on holiday. They seem to not drink from the bottle in their run very much during the day, but at night are drinking about half of the 500ml water bottle in their hutch between them. So about 125ml each. Does this sound ok, or is it a lot? I was assuming that as they've been eating plenty of hay that might increase their water intake.

I've noticed mine drink a heck of a lot more now the forage is less: it's poorer quality, drier and they eat a lot more hay so drink a lot more water. They do tend to drink more overnight because they sleep most of the day. Mine are outdoors.

Yes mine are outside too. (Well their hutch is in a shed) but that's more for my benefit! So I don't get rained on cleaning them out etc. Glad it's not just mine drinking a lot!

Average water consumption is 50ml-100ml/kg/24 hours. Rabbits who have a lot of grass/fresh forage/veg tend to drink less than Rabbits who's diet is mostly dry.

They are good thanks, as cute as ever!!�� they have been living with my parents so my dad has been the chief bunny person, but they definitely don't have short memories and haven't forgotten me, even though sometimes I won't see them for over a week at a time. Levi wouldn't leave me alone last night, constant licking! �� I missed them a lot when I first moved out, but because I'm so busy i got used to it, and in some ways it makes my life easier not having to plan everything around them, but having them back this week has made me remember how much I love having them around. ��

My two don't really drink anything during the day (they spend most of the day snoozing!) but during the night they can drink most of a bowl between the two of them.

Levi and Daisy have been staying at my parents house for the last year after I moved out, I'm waiting for my dad to build a new run for them before they move to mine full time. However I have them at the moment as my parents are on holiday. They seem to not drink from the bottle in their run very much during the day, but at night are drinking about half of the 500ml water bottle in their hutch between them. So about 125ml each. Does this sound ok, or is it a lot? I was assuming that as they've been eating plenty of hay that might increase their water intake.

It doesn't sound a lot to me. Remember that water bottles can and do drip, so some water is lost that way anyway. They are not as efficient as bowls to drinking from.

hay/forage/dry stuff means of course they will drink more :)

My quad drink a large ceramic dog bowl of water a night.

I remember Levi being a licker. Awww glad they are both well.

Back