• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Arthritic pain episode.

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
How long is too long?

At what point do you look for other options other than massive pain relief (which doesn't appear to touch it) and fluids?

When is PTS the right thing to do?

ETA- no matter. After 13 hours of crippling pain poor Angel is now showing improvement and eating grass (yay). Normally his episodes are 3-4 hours so 13 is a long one.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that one of your crew is struggling :cry: I dont think I can answer your question as to 'How long is too long', no one can judge the situation better than you. It can be beyond stressful to try to 'get it exactly right' , having been in that exact situation too many times than I care to remember I know that all too well. I guess if the 'bad' times are more frequent than the good times and/or if the individual Rabbit finds all the hands on care needed to be very stressful then I usually feel that is telling me that the Rabbit has had enough, even if they are still eating. But as I have said, the only person to really be able to know when it is 'time' is you as you are always totally in tune with the individual Rabbit's needs. In my experience the 'look' in a Rabbit's eyes speaks volumes to the human closest to them. No other human, even a Vet, can fully understand that 'look'.

Sorry I cant be of any more help and sending lots of vibes for your little friend xx

Lots of vibes from me too. It is a difficult situation. Wishing you all the best and hoping that Angel can remain comfortable for as long as possible. 13 hours ...

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond guys. It's much appreciated :)

I wasn't at all clear on this thread. He has been having episodes for a while and, for a short time, they were daily and it was awful, but then we fixed his med regime and it settled. I was more concerned how long to leave one acute episode with the hope it would pass. 13 hours is just awful, but I felt that it wasn't right to let him go. However, had he not have picked up, I would have made a vets appointment for him to talk it all through, but, being maxed out on pain relief, having heat and fluids, there was zilch else the vets could do, bar PTS.

Thankfully, he is now much more comfortable again although tired, which is entirely expected after such a long time being in great pain. Hopefully over the next few days he will pick up back to his normal self.

Back