• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA Home Checks

FireRose

Warren Scout
So today we went to our local RSPCA rescue center and had a look at the 4 bunnies they had there, their currently bonding them in to two pairs, and we've shown interest in a pair.

We've filled in a bunny adoption form, and they've told us they will also be coming for a home check.. What sort of things do they look for on this?

Is it the space we have? How well bunny proofed it is, or just to generally see we don't live in a mess and therefore the bunnies won't end up back there due to our neglect.

I mean how tidy does the house need to be, is it going to be a white glove experience lol

If anyone could please give me some advice on these, I'd super appreciate it.. My house to me is bunny proofed, I had a rabbit live here with me for 8 years, he was happy and was free roaming, he even had his own cardboard castle :D

Thanks for reading and any advice given x

They want to see where the rabbit will be living. How much space, safety, your knowledge re; diet, etc

I have always found home checkers to be really nice and friendly and animal loving. Its not like a kind of house proud assessment but a chance to see that the animal(s) will be properly cared for which I am sure yours have been and will be.

Very best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

Well that's good to know it's not going to be about the cleanilness.. Not that I live in a grothole mind you.. BUT well you know what one person thinks is clean may not be to another.

I'm guessing I will need to have everything set up as such for when they come so they can see where these buns are going to be...
I am hoping they find it enough as I know some can be very fickle.., it's kinda nerve wracking - Being judged lol x

Well that's good to know it's not going to be about the cleanilness.. Not that I live in a grothole mind you.. BUT well you know what one person thinks is clean may not be to another.

I'm guessing I will need to have everything set up as such for when they come so they can see where these buns are going to be...
I am hoping they find it enough as I know some can be very fickle.., it's kinda nerve wracking - Being judged lol x

It may be that you know more than the home checker! About 20 years ago I was home checked by the R.S.P.C.A. and that was certainly the case. :lol:

I volunteer with them now, and have rabbit home checked. Just have confidence in what you're offering these bunnies, and how excited you are about looking after them for the whole of their lives. It's certainly not about the cleanliness of your house, just about how you'll house them and how much exercise they will get. Make sure you've thought about safety issues - eating wires and going outdoors for example.

Also perhaps have a couple of questions to ask them, if you like? Engaging in a conversation about a subject you're both passionate about can only be a good thing :D

I was home checked last weekend, not by the RSPCA but another rescue centre. She wanted to know where the rabbits would live and even gave me advice on where I could keep the run (it was in the middle of my living room but I have taken her advice and moved the boys under the stairs!!)
She also wanted to make sure I knew about their diet, how much exercise they would need, where I would take them if they became unwell and who would look after them if we went on holiday!
If I'm honest I didnt worry about the cleanliness of my house, I also don't live in a grothole but I am mom with 2 boys aged 8 and 9 and I work full time so it can't be perfect!!
Just be confident in the wonderful home you can give the rabbits and I agree with being excited about adopting the bunnies, I think that is what won my home checker over as she could see how eager I was to look afte new rabbits, and I'm sure you will be fine xx

I was homechecked by the local rspca for another branch. I knew more than the very nice young girl they sent and ended up giving her some hay for her rabbits :lol::lol:

When I was homechecked (not RSPCA) they asked me some questions to check I knew about diet, behavioural stuff, vaccinations etc...not like an exam, just a chat to make sure I had the right basic knowledge. They also checked my setup although it would have been helpful if they had told me their requirements before I bought the hutch rather than after. :roll:

I do home visiting for my local RSPCA branch :) I am looking for your preparedness, suitability of housing, exercise provisions, and the security of their housing. Have you thought about a vet to use? I am looking to see if there's anything dangerous the animal could access or hurt themselves on.

I want to see you're excited about your new addition and ready to have them home!

The house has been bunny proofed - Had a previous bunny here.. Their set up is going to be a dog crate, open all day every day just a base for their hay, food, water etc, wires have been hidden/wrapped in lagging stuff (the grey noodle type items) I am worried about the garden though as it's not grassed (it's a shared garden) and there's not much grass out there to put a run.. But I am hoping the tunnels, platforms and the run of the house will be seen as enough as exercise for them, we have lots of new toys ready (brought today) plenty of hidey holes so I am keeping my fingers crossed that's enough.

Thankfully it won't be my first bun, just my first time as a pair, but I just hope they see our home as being special enough for them .. Hopefully they will see I am excited, and I am aware of issues that can arise, I have a vet already that I use to use, so will register them there.. I'm hoping it's enough.. Just the "garden" that worries me, I hope it isn't seen as a big NO NO for us :(

I wouldn't see grass as the most important thing... a safe space, even if it's slabs/concrete would be fine with me

I wouldn't see grass as the most important thing... a safe space, even if it's slabs/concrete would be fine with me

So would you say I would need to get a run for the outside before the home check then, or could I get that later? x

The house has been bunny proofed - Had a previous bunny here.. Their set up is going to be a dog crate, open all day every day just a base for their hay, food, water etc, wires have been hidden/wrapped in lagging stuff (the grey noodle type items) I am worried about the garden though as it's not grassed (it's a shared garden) and there's not much grass out there to put a run.. But I am hoping the tunnels, platforms and the run of the house will be seen as enough as exercise for them, we have lots of new toys ready (brought today) plenty of hidey holes so I am keeping my fingers crossed that's enough.

Thankfully it won't be my first bun, just my first time as a pair, but I just hope they see our home as being special enough for them .. Hopefully they will see I am excited, and I am aware of issues that can arise, I have a vet already that I use to use, so will register them there.. I'm hoping it's enough.. Just the "garden" that worries me, I hope it isn't seen as a big NO NO for us :(

To be honest, I would see the garden as the icing on the cake. It sounds like they've got a wonderful set up, lots of interest and freedom. You can always say you'll set up something safe and secure when the weather gets better, as now there's not much daylight for them to be out anyway!

To be honest, I would see the garden as the icing on the cake. It sounds like they've got a wonderful set up, lots of interest and freedom. You can always say you'll set up something safe and secure when the weather gets better, as now there's not much daylight for them to be out anyway!

That's what I was thinking.. That hopefully they will be okay for me to get a run at a later date for them.. It's not that I don't mind buying it, but seriously our summer sucked enough so can't see winter having many dry day's either.. and I'd rather buy them something for indoors they can use now, as opposed to buying a large run now that they may not get much use out.. We will see though hopefully hear from them soon x

This. My rabbits aren't even on grass, because it was more the space for them the rescue was interested in. :)

Back