• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please!

Onyx

New Kit
My mother has been looking after my 3 year old male bunny, Smudge. He lives in his own shed in the garden- the hutch is in the shed and he is free to wander around inside.
After feeding him, my mother placed the box which contains his pellets (imagine a round plastic celebrations or Roses chocolates tub) on top of the hutch at the corner of the roof. Somehow, Smudge managed to knock the tub onto the floor, causing it to spill open, and then proceeded to eat almost all of the dry food. The tub was around 1/3 full, and he left about 1/6th. I'm just concerned that his little body might go into shock or something (although he seems fine, albeit a little bloated).
Will he be okay?

I'm not an expert and hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon with more advice.

I would keep a close eye on him, make sure he is pooing and weeing as normal, make sure he has access to plenty of water, feed a hay only diet for the next few days. Be prepared that he may produce excess cecales for the next few days which may need to be picked up just to stop him getting them stuck in his fur.

If you are concerned please get him checked at the vets, especially if he is not eating, pooing or weeing, or tummy pressing, being lethargic or just not his usual self.

Yes he should be fine.my rabbit used to get into the pellets all the time it was really frustrating but she was always fine. So just keep a close eye on him and make sure he drinks plenty of water.☺️

Back