• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can bunnies be indoor and outdoor? Housing help!

m1nty

New Kit
Hiya,
I have an unusual idea for comfy bunny housing, and I'm hoping someone will have done something similar.

I'm moving house in the next couple of months, and I'm trying to work out how to give my 2 Netherland dwarfs a large and interesting space to live in. The house I'm moving to has fairly small rooms, but a large kitchen and garden.

I'm thinking of building my rabbits a large cage in the kitchen and having a runaround tube going through a cat-flap sized hole in the wall, connected to a large outdoor run. That would give them enough warm living space, but also plenty of room to exercise.

Would they be okay with the change in temperature, going between indoor and outdoors?
My bunnies have always been indoors only and currently live in a large NIC cube pen.

Has anyone tried something similar?

Thanks! :wave:

I would love to do it but I wonder if they could cope with the temperature change or even if they would use the outside in the cold?

I do remember someone on here doing that at one time. but can't remember who I'm afraid.

Thanks, I'll have a look in the indoor housing thread.
If they thought it was too cold to go out in winter, I'd bunny-proof the kitchen and let them free range around there (if my bf didn't object!)

I'd be concerned about the temperature change in winter, but in spring/summer it would be great :thumb:

My rabbits have free range in the house and a catflap through the wall, through runaround tube to a run on the grass and then another to the shed at the end of the garden. You can just see the catflap through the TV unit.

I've never had problems with the temperature difference, mainly I think because they make their own choice where they want to be.

Sorry about the big photos.

My rabbits have free range in the house and a catflap through the wall, through runaround tube to a run on the grass and then another to the shed at the end of the garden. You can just see the catflap through the TV unit.

I've never had problems with the temperature difference, mainly I think because they make their own choice where they want to be.

Sorry about the big photos.

That looks awesome :thumb: I bet they love it :thumb:

That's an amazing set up Jemima, would love to give my buns something similar! It might also help the problem of my mum being allergic to them, I could shut them outside while she's visiting (obv not as practical in winter to do that I know)

Wow Jemima, that looks amazing!
I love your idea of building a mesh box around the cat-flap. How did you manage to secure it to the wooden decking?

Wow Jemima, that looks amazing!
I love your idea of building a mesh box around the cat-flap. How did you manage to secure it to the wooden decking?

It's fixed to the wall and then has long 3 foot "tent peg" things that go through the decking gaps into the ground below. It's a converted dog cage so has a door that can be opened at the front too.

Back