• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

small lump?

cazba99

Young Bun
Hi guys
We have had male bunny Fred since July. We had a bit of scuffling, nipping and fur pulling when he was first bonded with our widowed bun DeeDee. Within the first couple of week's of them being together, we took DeeDee to the vet because she was limping after a fight and also we noticed a lump on Fred's side. Neither of us thought it had been there when we first got him. However, the vet said he thought it was the result of an old war wound from before we got him (we knew he had ended up in rescue due to fighting with his brother). Anyway, the lump went away shortly after that. Now however, we have noticed another smaller lump in the same area, although we can't be sure if it is exactly the same place. He won't let us pick him up to examine him, but we have tried to look at it as best we can when he has been busy eating. It looks like it has a dark spot in the middle and is about the size of a rice crispie. He seems fine and doesn't seem too concerned if you run your hand over it. We are going to keep our eye on it obviously but has anyone any ideas as to what it might be? He is less than 2 years old. He is white so any blood would have been obvious if Deedee had bitten him really hard. Thanks guys.

Hi guys
We have had male bunny Fred since July. We had a bit of scuffling, nipping and fur pulling when he was first bonded with our widowed bun DeeDee. Within the first couple of week's of them being together, we took DeeDee to the vet because she was limping after a fight and also we noticed a lump on Fred's side. Neither of us thought it had been there when we first got him. However, the vet said he thought it was the result of an old war wound from before we got him (we knew he had ended up in rescue due to fighting with his brother). Anyway, the lump went away shortly after that. Now however, we have noticed another smaller lump in the same area, although we can't be sure if it is exactly the same place. He won't let us pick him up to examine him, but we have tried to look at it as best we can when he has been busy eating. It looks like it has a dark spot in the middle and is about the size of a rice crispie. He seems fine and doesn't seem too concerned if you run your hand over it. We are going to keep our eye on it obviously but has anyone any ideas as to what it might be? He is less than 2 years old. He is white so any blood would have been obvious if Deedee had bitten him really hard. Thanks guys.

It's impossible to say what it might be without being able to see/feel it. Is it soft or hard ? Mobile under the skin or attached ? Is it smooth edged or irregular in shape ? Personally I'd get the Vet to check it as how it feels on examination is more relevant than how it looks.

Good luck x

It really could be anything, could be a cyst, could be fatty tissue, could be something else, personally I'd take bun to the vet for a wee check over, they may wish to take a sample from it to ensure it's nothing to worry about and to rule issues out x

Hope all goes well x

Hi guys

I have sadly had to become very knowledgable about rabbit lumps and bumps .. So all I can say, is without seeing it, I couldn't diagnose what it might be. Would you say that it was 'mobile' .. i.e. does it move when you push the skin around? It could be a haematoma - a collection of blood under the surface, from what you've described ..

I should keep an eye on it, and if it changes or grows bigger in the next few days, pop him over to see your vet.

Good luck xx

Thank you everyone for your replies. It is hard for us to examine him too thoroughly as he doesn't co-operate too well (the rather young and nervous vet abandoned a check on his teeth and claws when he went with Deedee for her vaccination as he was "too wriggly"!). I think it is mobile, so a haematoma sounds a reasonable explanation. The first one was noticed after they had had a fight, and last week we did notice some fur (of both colours) in their room although they seemed fine together when we came in. It is possible that she may have bitten him without breaking the skin. We will of course keep checking and if there is no improvement within the week we will try and get him booked in at the vets (with a different vet of course!). I am thinking that if a similar lump went away last time it may do so again, maybe as the result of a sly bite by Mrs whilst we weren't looking. She looks like butter wouldn't melt most of the time but I can imagine she turns into the she-devil when we are not there! Poor Fred! I can understand why some bunny owners have CCTV! thanks

hi guys. Thought I would share that I ran my hand along Fred's side this morning, and the lump appears to have gone. I think it must have been caused by DeeDee biting him. It appears she knows just how hard to bite to inflict pain without drawing blood! What a madam she is! Anyway, he seems to still love her...........

Back