• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Struggling with Dolly my frenchie

k1984

Mama Doe
I'm really struggling with Dolly and her health care. She's a 3 year old french lop who lives with Clive, also a 3 year old frenchie.

Dolly had always had teeth problems since being a baby, so undergoing fantastic care with our vets, had 6 teeth removed.
She hasn't had any teeth issues since. :thumb:

Following on from her teeth op, she then had an abscess appear on her bottom jaw. Again, fantastic care from our vet meant that it was removed complete intact, and she made another fantastic recovery. No abscess since (this was a year ago).

However, long term, Dolly has issues keeping her bottom area clean. I feed a Burgess pellets in a small amount, with plenty of hay, but Dolly always goes for the pellets first rather than the hay (as Clive does) due to ease my vet and I think. She does eat a good amount of hay, but always goes for the pellets first as they are far easier to eat.
I feed her pellets late at night now to ensure that she is only eating plenty of hay throughout the day.

She struggles to keep her bottom clean, and I have been taking her to the vets every 3 months to have her clipped/shaved around that area.

This is now causing her to get quite stressed. The vet says she needs to be bathed (which she doesn't tolerate easily as she gets so stressed), and she is due to be at the vets tomorrow to be clipped, with the possibility of even having to be sedated to make the process easier on her.

She is such a good girl, never lashes out when undergoing all this prodding and poking (which to be fair she has had a lifetime of, poor poor girl :( ), but just gets to stressed out it breaks my heart.

What can I do for her? I want to obviously keep her clean so she is healthy, but she is looking like she is going to need more frequent baths, which i struggle with as she is so large and gets to upset.

I've tried to find groomers to help, but they won't touch rabbits.

My main worry is that the process will become a vets job of being sedated every couple of months, which is not good for her or me...both in worry, stress and cost (I've been estimated £100-150 for tomorrows clipping due to sedation). I want the best for her, and need to think long term! Help or suggestions gratefully received....she's my baby and I love her with all my heart. She's had such a rotten run of luck all her life :( :( :(

Is it poop or urine causing the messy bum, and has your vet made any sort of diagnosis regarding it and suggested anything to help correct it?

Could you try a probiotic such as Protexin to help her digestive system? I find it really helps with my guinea pigs if they ever have an upset tummy. If she is very runny, Prokolin may also be helpful.

I'm really struggling with Dolly and her health care. She's a 3 year old french lop who lives with Clive, also a 3 year old frenchie.

Dolly had always had teeth problems since being a baby, so undergoing fantastic care with our vets, had 6 teeth removed.
She hasn't had any teeth issues since. :thumb:

Following on from her teeth op, she then had an abscess appear on her bottom jaw. Again, fantastic care from our vet meant that it was removed complete intact, and she made another fantastic recovery. No abscess since (this was a year ago).

However, long term, Dolly has issues keeping her bottom area clean. I feed a Burgess pellets in a small amount, with plenty of hay, but Dolly always goes for the pellets first rather than the hay (as Clive does) due to ease my vet and I think. She does eat a good amount of hay, but always goes for the pellets first as they are far easier to eat.
I feed her pellets late at night now to ensure that she is only eating plenty of hay throughout the day.

She struggles to keep her bottom clean, and I have been taking her to the vets every 3 months to have her clipped/shaved around that area.

This is now causing her to get quite stressed. The vet says she needs to be bathed (which she doesn't tolerate easily as she gets so stressed), and she is due to be at the vets tomorrow to be clipped, with the possibility of even having to be sedated to make the process easier on her.

She is such a good girl, never lashes out when undergoing all this prodding and poking (which to be fair she has had a lifetime of, poor poor girl :( ), but just gets to stressed out it breaks my heart.

What can I do for her? I want to obviously keep her clean so she is healthy, but she is looking like she is going to need more frequent baths, which i struggle with as she is so large and gets to upset.

I've tried to find groomers to help, but they won't touch rabbits.

My main worry is that the process will become a vets job of being sedated every couple of months, which is not good for her or me...both in worry, stress and cost (I've been estimated £100-150 for tomorrows clipping due to sedation). I want the best for her, and need to think long term! Help or suggestions gratefully received....she's my baby and I love her with all my heart. She's had such a rotten run of luck all her life :( :( :(

I suspect Dolly can't manage hay very easily with her dental issues ... Readigrass may be much easier for her to pick up in her mouth and chew, I don't know whether you've tried that at all?

Also, instead of pellets, or so many of them, could you cut up herbs (e.g. coriander), rocket and soft green leaves for her, and perhaps add in some grated parsnip and apple? It would be tasty an nutritious to eat and maybe help with the mucky bottom problem.

Merlin had this exact same problem on the Burgess excel's - He was never a good hay eater, and even cutting his pellets right down to like an egg cup he'd still not eat much hay - having doing a lot of research Burgess can cause mucky bums to sensitive tums in buns.. So I switched to science selective - Obviously gradually and over a 2-3 week period, and to be honest it cleared it right up.. I only fed the recommended amount on the bag, he had his greens etc hay intake didn't seem to improve mind you but his bum DID! :)

Maybe try it - Mint & Parsley is also good for helping with the tummy too if bun doesn't already eat these x

My bunnies had problems with excess cecos and sticky bottoms when they were on Excel pellets. I started giving them lots of forage in place of too many pellets. They particularly like Dandelion and Marigold herbage. I also changed over to Harringtons pellets. Works a treat.

Hey that looks like a lovely Bunny mix, hope the change in diet helps.

My origibun had some bottom issues which a course of Fiberplex sorted out, it used to re occur occasionally so if it got bad I would give her another course of it.

Seemed to work for her and is a good way to bump start the recovery process, something to consider anyway.

Are the pellets grain free? Both my buns had the same problem for a while and as soon as I switched to grain free pellets they were completely fine :)

Back