• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur help please, plus general advice

catherine09

Mama Doe
So Noah's weight is not good at the moment, since he became ill about 2 months ago (diarrhoea, admitted to hospital with a blockage, home 3 days later and fine since) it's been dropping slowly. I did a full coccidia course with all three of them as a precaution, which finished a week ago, but he doesn't seem to be gaining weight at all, and he is on the thin side which is concerning me.

I've started feeding him separately from the others now, to ensure he is getting the food, but he is making it really difficult :( I have a box which I place him into with his food, and he does eat it until he realises that he's locked in then he gets distracted trying to find his way out (I assume to get back to the others) so as a temporary measure I am hand feeding him some not-so-good food (mainly carrots) to try and stabilise him whilst I work out what to do.

So, my next plan of attack (just agreed with my vet on the phone) is a course of Panacur. But I didn't actually ask him how long to dose for :oops: I know it's 28 days for EC, but what is the dosage for suspected worms, just the 9 day? And I presume I have to do all 3 of them?

Also, can you get the tubes in larger quantities or would it be more economical to go to my vet for a bottle? If it's the 9 day course that's fine as it would be 3 bottles (about £15), but if it's the 28 day course it would be 10 bottles which would be about £50.

My other concern if it is a full 28 day course is, if it's not the cause of his problem, waiting for the course to be administered might be too long, and he might lose more condition during that time.

Thoughts please. Worried as Skye did this to me, although her weight gain was much faster. My other two little buns are a bit overweight :)oops:) due to overfeeding them to compensate for Noah being a big bun, so it's not like I'm not feeding them enough :(

So Noah's weight is not good at the moment, since he became ill about 2 months ago (diarrhoea, admitted to hospital with a blockage, home 3 days later and fine since) it's been dropping slowly. I did a full coccidia course with all three of them as a precaution, which finished a week ago, but he doesn't seem to be gaining weight at all, and he is on the thin side which is concerning me.

I've started feeding him separately from the others now, to ensure he is getting the food, but he is making it really difficult :( I have a box which I place him into with his food, and he does eat it until he realises that he's locked in then he gets distracted trying to find his way out (I assume to get back to the others) so as a temporary measure I am hand feeding him some not-so-good food (mainly carrots) to try and stabilise him whilst I work out what to do.

So, my next plan of attack (just agreed with my vet on the phone) is a course of Panacur. But I didn't actually ask him how long to dose for :oops: I know it's 28 days for EC, but what is the dosage for suspected worms, just the 9 day? And I presume I have to do all 3 of them?

Also, can you get the tubes in larger quantities or would it be more economical to go to my vet for a bottle? If it's the 9 day course that's fine as it would be 3 bottles (about £15), but if it's the 28 day course it would be 10 bottles which would be about £50.

My other concern if it is a full 28 day course is, if it's not the cause of his problem, waiting for the course to be administered might be too long, and he might lose more condition during that time.

Thoughts please. Worried as Skye did this to me, although her weight gain was much faster. My other two little buns are a bit overweight :)oops:) due to overfeeding them to compensate for Noah being a big bun, so it's not like I'm not feeding them enough :(

Sorry to hear about Noah ...

One bottle of Panacur, right strength and correct dosage for each rabbit, and dose them all for 9 days if it's worms you suspect.

Did Noah have blood tests? Kidney issues can cause weight loss ...

Not sure why you would need so many bottles. One bottle gives plenty of rabbits a full 28 day course. You can buy fairly cheaply from places like vetuk

A bottle of 10% liquid Panacur (normally sold for cats and dogs) will give you more than enough to do your rabbits for 28 days. VetUk is a good price normally. You just need some 1ml syringes and accurate weights of your rabbits to work out the daily dose.

Not sure why you would need so many bottles. One bottle gives plenty of rabbits a full 28 day course. You can buy fairly cheaply from places like vetuk

I was looking at the only panacur suitable for rabbits which is the psste and contained 9 doses

Thanks shimmer, didn't realise you could use the cat/dog one :D

Ok when you said bottles I thought you meant the one shimmer posted about. Yeah the paste in tubes are crazy expensive so I never use them

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Back