• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming my bunny

chloe60

Young Bun
How old does my bunny need to be before i can start worming him? How often does panacur need to be used and do i use the full syringe each time or only a little bit? Sorry if this confuses anyone!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

We don't tend to worm rabbits unless there is evidence that they need to be wormed. It' just unnecessary chemicals going in to their body.

The advice is not to routinely worm, otherwise if you do need to use Panacur on a sick rabbit it is likely to be ineffective (as in 'human' antibiotics over-use).

How old does my bunny need to be before i can start worming him? How often does panacur need to be used and do i use the full syringe each time or only a little bit? Sorry if this confuses anyone!

Not confused at all!

Who has told you that you need to regularly worm your rabbit? Your vet?

If at a health check your vet feels that your rabbit has E.Cuniculi (parasite that Panacur helps control) then a 28 day course will be prescribed.

Not confused at all!

Who has told you that you need to regularly worm your rabbit? Your vet?

If at a health check your vet feels that your rabbit has E.Cuniculi (parasite that Panacur helps control) then a 28 day course will be prescribed.
When Oscar got ill thats what she gave me and asked me if i regularly wormed him which i didnt because it just didnt cross my mind. Which was stupid of me and i blame myself for ozzie becoming ill because of that. Do i need to worm him regularly?

We don't tend to worm rabbits unless there is evidence that they need to be wormed. It' just unnecessary chemicals going in to their body.
Oh god i had no idea. My vet asked me if i wormed my last rabbit regularly and when i replied no she looked at me like i shouldve! Thankyou

The advice is not to routinely worm, otherwise if you do need to use Panacur on a sick rabbit it is likely to be ineffective (as in 'human' antibiotics over-use).
Oh! Thankyou so much! I had no idea

When Oscar got ill thats what she gave me and asked me if i regularly wormed him which i didnt because it just didnt cross my mind. Which was stupid of me and i blame myself for ozzie becoming ill because of that. Do i need to worm him regularly?

Oh Chloe, please don't blame yourself - you did nothing wrong!

Some vets do advocate a 9 days course of Panacur for 'routine worming', which is why the tubes of paste are sold. However, Panacur is not without it's own risks, and to give it regularly for no good reason would be irresponsible in my view, so I believe you were quite right in what you did.

I do not routinely worm my rabbits :D

Oh Chloe, please don't blame yourself - you did nothing wrong!

Some vets do advocate a 9 days course of Panacur for 'routine worming', which is why the tubes of paste are sold. However, Panacur is not without it's own risks, and to give it regularly for no good reason would be irresponsible in my view, so I believe you were quite right in what you did.

I do not routinely worm my rabbits :D
Thankyou so much!! All of your advice ia really helping :)

I don't routinely worm my rabbits for 2 reasons.

1. I can't see the point - we don't take medicine if we don't need to do we?
2. Thumper has stasis so often and has to have oral meds so often that forcing her to have extra oral meds (Panacur) when it's not necessary is simply adding to her stress, so I don't bother.

If you take your bunnies to a boarder's while you're on holiday and they share the same grassed area for daily exercise as other bunnies (not at the same time, obviously!) then yes, I would worm them when I got back home as a precaution. But mine don't like being handled so stay in their hutch for a week (they're quite happy) so again, I don't worm them when they get home. That is the only other time I would worm them "as a precaution".

I don't routinely worm my rabbits for 2 reasons.

1. I can't see the point - we don't take medicine if we don't need to do we?
2. Thumper has stasis so often and has to have oral meds so often that forcing her to have extra oral meds (Panacur) when it's not necessary is simply adding to her stress, so I don't bother.

If you take your bunnies to a boarder's while you're on holiday and they share the same grassed area for daily exercise as other bunnies (not at the same time, obviously!) then yes, I would worm them when I got back home as a precaution. But mine don't like being handled so stay in their hutch for a week (they're quite happy) so again, I don't worm them when they get home. That is the only other time I would worm them "as a precaution".
Thankyou for the advice! :)

Ive never treated mine for worms & wouldnt unless they had them.
My rabbits are 5 & 6 years old

I vaccinate annually for vhd & myxi (costs about £35 per bun)

Ive used hibiscrub for disinfecting sometimes - otherwise I use white vinegar for cleaning...you can dilute with water if need be. Lifts the whits calcium stain left form the buns wee so works brilliantly and is harmless to the buns.

Ive treated with Advantage for flea's / mites as vet instructed only if they had them.
They have had mites or signs of them once.
Same with th fleas..just about to treat for fleas & disinfect as i found 4 pesky fleas...uuurgh - makes me itchy..lol

Apart from that no meds unless its was antibiotics / painrelief fro stasis or neuter/spays etc

They dont require meds unless ill basically and of course to vaccinate.

:D

Back