• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

alarmed at new play friend

norseofoz

Young Bun
recently we lost Patch our 2yo tan and white female. We have a REW 2yo male (her brother) We let them play outside during the day and come in to sleep. The yard is very safe with a 2 level hutch plenty of water, hay, grass, and a roofed patio (not to mention a old raised garden bed to dig in and an old trampoline to lay under on the grass). A few months ago I noticed a large crow hopping towards a resting Patch and I became alarmed and headed for the back door (we have a view of the yard from our living area)as I got there I notice her chase him off only for him to hop towards her again. When he got to about 30cm she would chase him away and return to her spot. This went on for about 15 minutes. Over the next few days the crow would return and the game continued. I did make enquiries about how safe her new play friend was to be re-assured a crow is a carrion feeder and highly unlikely to take on a fully grown agile rabbit. (The have been known to attack baby animals such as rabbits and kittens but not fully grown ones) I haven't noticed the crow since Patch passed away and Fluffy is too much of an aloof rabbit to play such games =P He is more of a people rabbit. His favourite game with me is to hop away a few paces and I walk to him then he does it again....this can go on for ages, when he has had enough he zooms off.

Even if the crow is not a threat to your rabbit, I would be worried about other predators getting to an unsupervised free-ranging bunny. Foxes, cats, birds of prey - all can easily get into a garden with 6' fences. As rabbit are a prey species, they are much more susceptible to the threat of a predator than other species - so even a crow may be seen as a threat by the rabbit and cause it undue stress.

recently we lost Patch our 2yo tan and white female. We have a REW 2yo male (her brother) We let them play outside during the day and come in to sleep. The yard is very safe with a 2 level hutch plenty of water, hay, grass, and a roofed patio (not to mention a old raised garden bed to dig in and an old trampoline to lay under on the grass). A few months ago I noticed a large crow hopping towards a resting Patch and I became alarmed and headed for the back door (we have a view of the yard from our living area)as I got there I notice her chase him off only for him to hop towards her again. When he got to about 30cm she would chase him away and return to her spot. This went on for about 15 minutes. Over the next few days the crow would return and the game continued. I did make enquiries about how safe her new play friend was to be re-assured a crow is a carrion feeder and highly unlikely to take on a fully grown agile rabbit. (The have been known to attack baby animals such as rabbits and kittens but not fully grown ones) I haven't noticed the crow since Patch passed away and Fluffy is too much of an aloof rabbit to play such games =P He is more of a people rabbit. His favourite game with me is to hop away a few paces and I walk to him then he does it again....this can go on for ages, when he has had enough he zooms off.

Large birds of any sort will potentially distress a free ranging rabbit. Yes, rabbits can and do chase them off, but personally I wouldn't risk that situation with my rabbits. Does your rabbit have a safe place (house? Hutch?) to retreat to for safety, when free ranging?

Please be careful, crows peck the eyes out of live lambs and I would be surprised if one attacked a fully grown rabbit.

the yard is very safe and bunny proof. none of our nearby neighbours have dogs or cats (we live at the end of a court - cul de sac) they have a 2 level hutch, huge yard, lots of water, grass and hay as well as an undercover patio. An old trampoline on the grass and an old table Fluffy likes to sit on. The fences have been 'bunny proofed' and they're only outside during the day. Foxes cant get in and we are away from rural areas. She didn't seem threatened by the crow and kept returning to her favourite spot rather than running off. She was a lot bigger than the crow. Patch (since died) and Fluffy are bigger than an average house cat in size although I would never leave them in a threatened situation. I was ready to step in at the first sign of trouble but to me they seemed to be playing. The crow never got closer than about a foot.

I no longer have buns ,I have a garden which is visited by a pair of carrion crows (very clever birds) A cheeky wee girl grey squirrel (I call her Suzy) A pair of wood pigeons and a few magpies.The squirrel will take food from my hand and come into the house.When she turns up in the garden the rest turn up too.I feed them peanuts in the shell.The wood pigeon will also come into the kitchen,the squirrel will get annoyed with the wood pigeon some times and has pulled a few tail feather out,har.The magpies will pull on the squirrels tail too. So I would be wary of domestic buns "Interacting" with wildlife.:)
Also I'm not in a rural area but a suburban garden and we have foxes that turn up every night,I feed therm too.Even had a wee hedgehog ,very rarely seen.

Last edited:
Back