• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do rabbits not get electric shocks?

Fellie

Warren Veteran
:shock::shock::shock:

The amount of wires that are attached to a socket which is switched on that have been chewed at .... latest is the radio in the budgie/bunny room - Cheyenne and Lenny have chomped it right down to the bare wires - why don't they get shocked by it? Surprised the radio is still working - and hubby is convinced the house will burn down around him and won't believe me when I say the power would cut out before that happens :lol:

Chloe chewed through a laptop wire and a phone charger when she was a youngster. Maybe that's what all the fuzzy hair is about! Now she's outside and out of harms way!

I recently lost my Beloved Merlin :( he made it to a wonderful 8 happy years with me - and only speaking the other day with the OH we reckon him chonking on wires kept his heart going for a little bit longer.. As he hasn't chewed anything in a while lol.

Laptop chargers, phone wires, blackberry chargers, books.. the lot he chewed.. Like you say it is a wonder he lived to 8.. not very cost effective are they these buns ;) x

Athena had a good old nibble on a vacuum wire! Thankfully, we already had two.

She's now an outdoor bun because she was allegedly getting too destructive... :lol:

I've definitely heard of rabbits getting burned mouths from chewing wires, so it's possible yours is just lucky!

Hello, Bunnies DO get electric shocks. Years ago our Albino Rex, Alice, had a very sore foot which took about two months to heal. The vet had no idea what caused it, neither did we.
Eventually hubby went to use a battery charger and got a huge shock from it. On inspection he saw the wire had been chewed through. We realised that Alice's sore foot was a burn where the electricity had come out through her foot when she bit the wire. Luckily she lived a few more years, and had a very happy life. Phew!

Hello, Bunnies DO get electric shocks. Years ago our Albino Rex, Alice, had a very sore foot which took about two months to heal. The vet had no idea what caused it, neither did we.
Eventually hubby went to use a battery charger and got a huge shock from it. On inspection he saw the wire had been chewed through. We realised that Alice's sore foot was a burn where the electricity had come out through her foot when she bit the wire. Luckily she lived a few more years, and had a very happy life. Phew!

Similar thing happened to one of my cats. He never chewed a wire again though :shock: :lol:

I don't understand it either - I've found chewed-through wires with burn marks on before and the bunnies were absolutely fine. :? But then I've been electrocuted on the mains and I didn't die either.

I guess the power running into fine cables like phone chargers,laptops isn't so high as large chunky wires leading to electric fires etc?My bridge buns did for fair few phone chargers laptop cables in their time.I still have an electric lamp that they didn't quite snip through,it's patched up with insulation tape.

Rupert has chewed through the telephone electric cord more than once (you should see how short the wire is now) and never got a shock. The vet said it is something to do with the fact their saliva is thick (or something like that anyway it was a while ago)

When we were home checked for Joey the RSPCA told my OH that they don't get shocks as it travels through their fur. Cold be rubbish of course & I certainly wouldn't rely on this as fact. So happy my three are not attracted to wires - good bunnies

Back