• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Set ups

Calathea

Young Bun
I need to figure out how to go about having a set up for two buns that will hopefully be bonded. I have one room (spare bedroom) that has Alfie's Ferplast 120 in it which is open 99% of the time. The only times I shut him in it is when I have guests staying (during the night, never for more than two nights) or if I need to do something with the door open like move furniture.

I could just get another Ferplast 120 for the girly bun and let them free range in the bedroom at different times but this means that there is a risk of bites through the bars and they would both be confined to a cage for 12 hours (ish).

What other solutions are there? Would love to see set ups that people had/have during a similar situation!

Only have the one bun at the moment, planning ahead. Won't be until January that my boy will be neutered so got plenty of time to sort it all out.

I should really check your other threads to find out more background:) So you have a boy now who will be neutered in January - is it after then you will get the girl or will she be with you before that? Sorry for all the questions

hehe no worries! Only reason that this has come about is because Alfie's brother who he was paired with passed away (EC infection). I hadn't done much research on bonding and feel a bit out of my depth now!

I will be getting the girl before he's done, most likely anyway. Definitely if we get a baby bun, maybe if we get an older bun that's already spayed.

I'm sorry to hear about Alfies brother. I'd aways go for your second option ... an older girl thats already spayed. If they are matched well more than likely you'll be able to stick them in together from the off & it will be all done & dusted :) no need for second cages & dealing with the inevitable risk of nose nips between bars. I've no experience of having 2 bunnies in the same area / room but separate pens though. i know a lot of people run up to bonding this gradual way but I like to chuck em in the deep end :lol:

I'm sorry to hear about Alfies brother. I'd aways go for your second option ... an older girl thats already spayed. If they are matched well more than likely you'll be able to stick them in together from the off & it will be all done & dusted :) no need for second cages & dealing with the inevitable risk of nose nips between bars. I've no experience of having 2 bunnies in the same area / room but separate pens though. i know a lot of people run up to bonding this gradual way but I like to chuck em in the deep end :lol:
I agree :thumb: and if you go for a rescue rabbit, they may help with bonding, and if they don't hit it off they may be able to offer a choice of possible partners :thumb:
For bonding I would suggest a puppy pen, I did my quad bond in an xl dog crate and it was ok but if there had been any major scraps wouldn't have been ideal because I wouldn't have been able to get to them easily.

I agree with Zoobec (hello Zoobec, great to see you back here).

I used a puppy pen for the quad when I bonded them. It was great. A litter tray per rabbit plus one extra and lots of interesting forage at regular intervals.

Back