• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Growling and lunging bunny?

Hello
We've had our rabbit Dexter for nearly a year now. He has been bonded with our other bunny, Smudge, since about March. They are both downstairs in the living room and share a cage etc. The bonding went well. He is the dominant one. Smudge is the sweetest, loveliest and most gentle bunny ever. Dexter is more boisterous and mischievous.

The problem is in the last few months Dexter has been growling and lunging at both my husband and myself. It started if he and Smudge were laying together and I stroked him then reached my hand past him to stroke Smudge. Then he'd go for me. Or if he was sitting near his toys and my husband touched his toys to play with him he would go for him. This morning he was in the litter tray which is quite big as its outside of the cage. I was sweeping up excess hay near the tray and he lunged at me again sort of growling. He has pierced the skin before. We aren't sure if it's with his nails or teeth.

We worry about Smudge as he eats a lot faster than her and always goes for hers and pushes her out of the way. We have taken to splitting them during meal times as we've noticed her getting a lot skinnier and him gaining weight.

We also worry that if he's like that with us, then what's he like with her in their own bunny language. She's been with us for three years this Christmas and as I say she's so gentle and wouldn't hurt a fly. She enjoys cuddles whereas he likes to be destructive. Lol.

We've had them both since they were young, they were both bought from pets at home. They are both neutered and vaccinated and healthy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Kirsty

When was he last examined by a Vet ? Behaviour changes can be the first 'symptom' of a brewing health problem, even in the absence of any other obvious sugn that something is wrong.

Is his eyesight OK ?

Do you have any other animals that are in the same space as your Rabbits ?

Have you had his eyesight tested? Poor eyesight can mean they're more defensive and likely to lunge. PAH rabbits are farmed for the pet trade and prone to genetic problems.

Posted the same time as Jane :lol:

We have a bit of a lunging, grunting girlie bun. She hates it when I try and tidy her space, but if I put my hand on her head she doesn't do it. She also does it sometimes with food too. She a gorgeous gentle bunny most of the time, just has her moments.

Like Jane said best to get a vet check out your bunny just in case there is something underlying causing his behaviour. Does it only happen if you are going to his litter tray / area /toys or near Smudge? I'm wondering if he is feeling protective of his things. Rabbits live in groups in the wild and are quite territorial so this could be the cause. Would he lunge towards you if you go to put your hand near him when he is away from his things? I don't think it will be to do with genetics especially if they are cross breeds as you are more likely to get genetic problems with pedigree bunnies as they have a much smaller gene pool. I must admit I have had bunnies with very different personalities and have had a few that have lunged and bitten even after being neutered. It's never been something I have managed to solve apart from being careful not to put my hand in their space or try and pick them up to quickly.

Back