• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Items for 2 rabbits

NewBunnyFan

Warren Scout
I'm so sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm going to collect my 2 bunnies which I am adopting tonight, before I get them I'm going to pop to p@h to ensure I have everything for them (I think I do but love shopping if I'm honest!)

My question is do I need 2 of everything for them, for example, 2 food dishes/water bottles/litter trays? I do have one of everything as they are my previous buns but as I only had one I'm unsure of what I need for 2.

Also my previous rabbit only drank out of a water bowl and these 2 drink out of bottles, which do you feel is better for rabbits to drink out of or should I just leave them bottles as that's what they are used to?

Sorry for the stupid questions but want to get everything tonight so I can spend the day at home with the tomorrow!!

I'm so sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm going to collect my 2 bunnies which I am adopting tonight, before I get them I'm going to pop to p@h to ensure I have everything for them (I think I do but love shopping if I'm honest!)

My question is do I need 2 of everything for them, for example, 2 food dishes/water bottles/litter trays? I do have one of everything as they are my previous buns but as I only had one I'm unsure of what I need for 2.

Also my previous rabbit only drank out of a water bowl and these 2 drink out of bottles, which do you feel is better for rabbits to drink out of or should I just leave them bottles as that's what they are used to?

Sorry for the stupid questions but want to get everything tonight so I can spend the day at home with the tomorrow!!

I would have one food bowl and one water bowl. If they fight over the food bowl you can always use one of your china dishes and decide whether to get a third bowl. I prefer water bowls to bottles - it's been proven that bunnies drink more with a bowl and that can prevent all kinds of bladder issues.

You don't need two litter trays - make sure the one is big enough for both of them to get into. What are you putting in your litter tray?

You do, however, need two sets of eyes and ears to check on what they get up to :lol: I don't think you can get them in P@H :?

Good luck picking up your gorgeous buns. I hope we'll get piccies soon? x

Edited to add .. there are no such things as stupid questions! :D

Last edited:
We got our two bunnies a week ago and to be honest it has been a bit trial and error what we need for them :) I wasn't sure whether they were used to drinking out of a bowl or a bottle so I had both set up (the bottle came free with the cage anyway) - now one drinks out of the bowl and the other out of the bottle! So will have to stick with both! Lol. I also had two corner litter trays but they weren't big enough so today I've replaced them with a big plastic storage box - big enough for both to sit in comfortably at the same time - and that seems to be working really well so far :)

You do, however, need two sets of eyes and ears to check on what they get up to :lol: I don't think you can get them in P@H :?

Haha yes, this is true! My two have only been brave enough to both venture out at the same time today. It was exhausting! :lol:

Yeah I agree with everyone here... surprise surprise.... I bought two if everything back when I got Fluffy, but found he would only eat from Bunbuns bowl. So now they got two littertrays, one in the enclusure and one in the room. One forage box, and one waterbowl. Thats it. So got all those extra bowls etc now that I never use, so like already said, I'd go wuth just one of everything these days and get a second one if needed. :)
By the way, mine both prefer the water bowl, had bottle and bowl for a while, but they kept just going to the bowl, so dropped the bottle.
And can inlt 2nd the two ears and eyes thing, or 3rd it more accurately as katy already agreed too... but well worth it.

You are brilliant thank you so much!!! I'm sure my husband would thank you as well for stopping me from spending money on items which might not be needed!!
I have a cat litter tray for them and have 'back to nature' in it with some hey!! I do have 2 of the corner litter trays as well but have filled them with hey.

Ok since there can never be a stupid question......what do your buns sleep in/on? Do they have boxes or coverings of some sort to sleep in?
I'll get them a water bowl and while I'm there see if they have some spare eyes for me......it sounds like I'm going to be having great fun!!!

I'll post some pics once they are settled!!

Thank you so much of your help x

FredW what do you use as a forage box if you don't mind me asking? Would another cat litter tray filled with hey and lovely surprised be ok?

My bunnies live indoors so the sleeping arrangements might be different depending on where yours are going to live. They have a shelf in their cage and when we first got them they went and hid under that, that is still where they go if there are scary noises or just to snooze quietly, so I've covered that with a fleecy blanket. We were using straw for bedding as I had done in the past for outdoor buns, but it makes a right mess and isn't really necessary for warmth indoors so I've switched. I like looking at the photos of everyone's housing on the stickies for ideas :)

Ok since there can never be a stupid question......what do your buns sleep in/on? Do they have boxes or coverings of some sort to sleep in?

Mine slept in the litter tray for a while :roll: but they now sleep on a doormat! They have an upturned cardboard box for a hidey hole and I used to sit the box on top of the doormat thinking they would like to be inside the box to feel safe but they had always pushed the box away and were sitting on the mat when I got up in the morning. I have tried a nice soft pet bed but they just like to pee on that.

Casco your bunnies sound like right characters!! I've got some boxes I'll cut holes in. Thank you again for your help x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FredW what do you use as a forage box if you don't mind me asking? Would another cat litter tray filled with hey and lovely surprised be ok?

I actually got them one of those http://www.manorpethousing.co.uk/forage-box
no idea why they love it so much, but they both always have their heads in it. I tried cardboard boxes, and Fluffy just eats the cardboard instead. Sprinkle it over their hay, which they don't like. so I tried that and they absolutely LOVE it. Fluffy especially, he nearly climbs into it, well he is tiny and he doesn't really, but he looks like he tries. actually here is a video of them using it:
https://youtu.be/mM8GnQxPyIM

you also asked where they sleep. Well mine are both indoor ones, not risking them sharing the back garden with Mrs Fox..... During the day, they sleep just anywhere in this room. Usually under the table on the carpet. I got an old fleece rolled up, which they use as a pillow. Fluffy often ends up sleeping on his bed, got a couple of Ikea beds in the room, or on one of the dining room chairs. Bunbuns will always just sleep on the floor. At night, Fluffy usually sleeps either on his bed in his pen, it's a MPH one, which I find more stable than the Ikea ones, or on one of the shelves in the pen, on the vet fleece, or in his hideout box, again on the fleece in there. He very much likes comfort. Bunbuns on the other hand at night sleeps on hard surfaces, such as the pen floor or the wooden shelf that isn't covered in fleece. When they snuggle up though it's always on the bed or the fleece covered shelf. if all this even made sense. lol

Thank you for your reply, will have a look at the manor housing website. I've just picked the boys up Leo (black) and Saxon (white) my new nethies! So happy to give them a forever home!!
2608842b19e719481530d30bbf3efbc1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aww they are gorgeous. My four have two litter trays between and one water bowl. I scatter feed them so food is just in their hay and all over the shed (two handfuls of rabbit royale muesli per night).

I love that pic of your two all cuddled up together.

I'm glad you've posted this as I'm hopefully going to be getting a pair soon, after having a single bun.

I've so far got a bowl, bottle...Hoping they choose the bowl but we will see.. 1 litter tray but I have another incase they choose a spot away from their "base" and somewhere in the house lol... I've also got a nice large and deep one which I am going to fill with their Hay and Nommy's so hopefully that will be okay for them, I guess time will tell when I get the bunnies, but I am certainly going to follow this Thread! x

Back