• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dig prevention outdoor rabbits

Miaow8690

New Kit
I have an enquiry regarding Housing and I hope you can help! I have a bonded pair of 2 Netherland Dwarf x rabbits; a neutered male and an entire female (spaying imminent - delayed due to house move).

We have had the male for 18 months, and the female for around 9 months. Male was very sickly when we re-homed him, so for a long time he was an indoor rabbit; fully litter trained and free roaming. Female had been an outdoor rabbit, but she was also quite happy being indoors when we re-homed her and they had successfully bonded.

We recently moved house and are unable to keep them indoors any more, so we built them a hutch and run. The hutch is a permanently sited 2-floor hutch 6ft x 2ft. It is attached via tubes to 2 runs; one 6ft x 3ft, one 4ft x 2ft. These are connected in such a way that the rabbits have the ability to make a continuous run over 12ft if they should feel like running. There are also plans to add 2 more runs over the next several months (I get very excited about environmental enrichment and can't really stop!) The runs are surrounded at floor level by 1ft wide mesh with 2x2 holes which is attached in a perpendicular manner to the bottom of the run, laid flush to the ground and securely pegged out in order to protect the rabbits from foxes and badgers.

My question is this: recently, they have begun to dig in the grass. The runs are moved every three weeks to fresh grass and I have provided a sandpit for digging which they LOVE, especially if I hide snacks in it. They appear to be active attempts to dig a burrow. Interestingly, they only try to dig when in
the smaller run, wherever it is sited, and even though they have free access to the hutch and both runs at all times.

I have heard that the anti-dig mesh as I have described above can also be used underneath the rabbits' runs, but I am concerned this may cause them some discomfort to walk on.

Do you recommend using anti-dig mesh under the runs? Maybe use it yourself? If so, how large should the holes be to prevent digging but still make sure their feet are protected? What mesh do you use?

If you don't recommend this measure, do you have any other ideas? I have a very small patio which is not really an option - besides which,
the rabbits love being on the grass and I am reluctant to take that away from them! I recently requested assistance from the RWAF but their suggestions involved remodelling my entire garden: pulling up the grass and returfing or getting a landscaper in to rebuild the garden from scratch with underground rabbit burrows. Now, these sound like amazing ideas, but as a student in rented accommodation they are beyond me for a number of reasons!!

Thanks for your help, I look forward to any suggestions.

I have an enquiry regarding Housing and I hope you can help! I have a bonded pair of 2 Netherland Dwarf x rabbits; a neutered male and an entire female (spaying imminent - delayed due to house move).

We have had the male for 18 months, and the female for around 9 months. Male was very sickly when we re-homed him, so for a long time he was an indoor rabbit; fully litter trained and free roaming. Female had been an outdoor rabbit, but she was also quite happy being indoors when we re-homed her and they had successfully bonded.

We recently moved house and are unable to keep them indoors any more, so we built them a hutch and run. The hutch is a permanently sited 2-floor hutch 6ft x 2ft. It is attached via tubes to 2 runs; one 6ft x 3ft, one 4ft x 2ft. These are connected in such a way that the rabbits have the ability to make a continuous run over 12ft if they should feel like running. There are also plans to add 2 more runs over the next several months (I get very excited about environmental enrichment and can't really stop!) The runs are surrounded at floor level by 1ft wide mesh with 2x2 holes which is attached in a perpendicular manner to the bottom of the run, laid flush to the ground and securely pegged out in order to protect the rabbits from foxes and badgers.

My question is this: recently, they have begun to dig in the grass. The runs are moved every three weeks to fresh grass and I have provided a sandpit for digging which they LOVE, especially if I hide snacks in it. They appear to be active attempts to dig a burrow. Interestingly, they only try to dig when in
the smaller run, wherever it is sited, and even though they have free access to the hutch and both runs at all times.

I have heard that the anti-dig mesh as I have described above can also be used underneath the rabbits' runs, but I am concerned this may cause them some discomfort to walk on.

Do you recommend using anti-dig mesh under the runs? Maybe use it yourself? If so, how large should the holes be to prevent digging but still make sure their feet are protected? What mesh do you use?

If you don't recommend this measure, do you have any other ideas? I have a very small patio which is not really an option - besides which,
the rabbits love being on the grass and I am reluctant to take that away from them! I recently requested assistance from the RWAF but their suggestions involved remodelling my entire garden: pulling up the grass and returfing or getting a landscaper in to rebuild the garden from scratch with underground rabbit burrows. Now, these sound like amazing ideas, but as a student in rented accommodation they are beyond me for a number of reasons!!

Thanks for your help, I look forward to any suggestions.

It seems like you are in pretty much the same boat as me! I'm a student living in private rented accommodation and can't really do much to the garden, and I don't have the money to do such remodelling.
Flo, despite having a 10ftX6.5ft run, still likes to try and tunnel out! What I have done currently is put part of her run on paving. From what you said, you may be able to try that even if its just so one of the runs sits on the edge of the patio? I have also put chicken wire all around the outside so it sits on top of the grass, held down by the run edges. This means she can still dig but if she digs to the surface on the other side she wouldn't be able to actually surface.
What I am planning to do eventually is get some turf, then put chicken wire all over the floor of the run and place the turf on top. Therefore they don't get sore feet from the wire and can't dig out.
Also chicken wire is fine, it's cheap (I got mine off amazon) and they certainly won't be able to dig through it.

Hope this helps!

Anti dig skirts as you describe will help with dissuading predators digging in/rabbits digging out, but I'm afraid they won't prevent either happening. The most secure ways are either to lay weld mesh (16 or 19 gauge) on the floor of the run, and then turf over it, or slab the bottom with concrete slabs or put it on a patio area. Chicken wire is not strong enough, rabbits and predators can chew through it. The run should also be securely fastened down.

Back