• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to get Alfie's wife?

Calathea

Young Bun
I'm now panicking about bonding :( It's not something I had really looked into because I always intended on having siblings but with the passing of Alfie's brother, Thor, we need to look into getting Alfie a wife. Are there any good guides re bonding? I don't even know where to start!

One thing that I have no idea about is when to actually get a girly? Alfie won't be old enough to be neutered until December/January time and at the moment he has 23 more days of precautionary medication. Should I wait to get a female until he's been neutered? Obviously wouldn't do any kind of introductions until both were neutered and spayed but if I end up getting another baby, I will have to wait for her to become old enough to be spayed. If I rescue then she'll already be spayed and everything. We are most likely going to get a baby from the same breeder though, should we get one sooner rather than later so that she can be spayed at a similar time as Alfie?

I'm going to have to get another cage... Should they be in the same room when still separated? Alfie currently has the run of the entire spare bedroom 24/7 (unless guests are staying as he can get on the bed lol) but he does have a cage that's his base that we can shut him in. Would it be safe to have one free ranging in the room and the other in their cage? Or do they need to be in separate rooms?

Any advice would be really appreciated, feel like a fish out of water at the moment!

Following this, I got Rosie and Oliver as pair and within a week I lost Oliver. Rosie got spayed on Wednesday so around Christmas I will be looking a young man for her I will look into adopting but this bonding is scaring me. I have read females are so territorial so I am worried about introductions. Was thinking about waiting to spring as I could do it all in the garden as she hasn't been there. I hear females aren't just as welcoming in their territory as males.

Alfie can neutered from around 4 months if his bits have dropped. A wife would be good as I have been reading the boy/girl is the easiest bond. If you adopted the rescue might let you take him on bunny dates or even bond him to another female for you :)

Sorry for both your losses :( I've been reading about this too and the RSPCA (at least where we are) will loan an indoor pen with bunny for about 6 weeks. During that time, they offer lots of advice on bonding and the bunny is still their financial responsibility. If the bonding really doesn't work out, they'd take bunny back - obviously not ideal but hopefully wouldn't come to that! Keep us updated on how you both get on xxx

I would really suggest getting a rescue bunny - some places start the bonding for you and then send them home and other places keep them there together for longer. I'd enquire at your local rescues and see if any of them are willing to do more of the bonding than just the initial introductions - that way you can hopefully bring home two bunnies and keep them in the same hutch. Also means you don't have to wait months more to get a new baby one, wait till it's old enough for neutering, waiting for its hormones to settle and then there's no guarantee they'll get along even then.

Back