• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bathroom refit noise

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone this is a bit random BUT I'm getting my bathroom ripped out and replaced this week (yay!) But naturally it's going to be verrry noisy to remove everything including tiles.

My rabbits live indoors and are one room forward downstairs to where the bathroom is upstairs.
My question is, the noise is unavoidable, where they are is unavoidable but are there things I can do to make it less stressful for them?

So far my ideas are this:
Keep them in their run 8.30-5pm when the lads are in. Not ideal but it's a good size run and to be fair they would be in roughly the same amount of time whilst I am at work usually.

Keep a blanket over the front of their run to keep it dark and feeling secure for them.

Keep them topped up with hay/toys/hiding places inside their run.

Happy to take any ideas? ?

Sounds good to me :) Hopefully the really noisy bit won't take too long but it's not nice seeing them out of sorts for any length of time!

I think it's more that she's quite nervy anyway and he's just gotten over stasis. I'm trying not to keep looking in at them but it is hard!

I would keep them in their run and add extra hay / boxes / interesting forage. Keep their routine as normal as possible but provide some extra hiding places if they feel the need. It would also keep them safer from any wandering workmen, and leave the door shut to their room - make it clear it is out of bounds. Maybe leave the radio on in their room to make the bathroom noises a bit less distracting. Neighbours here started their bathroom over the weekend so there have been all sorts of random bangs and crashes at odd hours. It's not bothered our rabbits as they are outside in runs.

Well their run is in the open plan living/dining room which is where I'm staying so they won't be in here thankfully. So much noise just hope it's only today/tomorrow whilst they're taking stuff out

Hi everyone this is a bit random BUT I'm getting my bathroom ripped out and replaced this week (yay!) But naturally it's going to be verrry noisy to remove everything including tiles.

My rabbits live indoors and are one room forward downstairs to where the bathroom is upstairs.
My question is, the noise is unavoidable, where they are is unavoidable but are there things I can do to make it less stressful for them?

So far my ideas are this:
Keep them in their run 8.30-5pm when the lads are in. Not ideal but it's a good size run and to be fair they would be in roughly the same amount of time whilst I am at work usually.

Keep a blanket over the front of their run to keep it dark and feeling secure for them.

Keep them topped up with hay/toys/hiding places inside their run.

Happy to take any ideas? ?

I always use homeopathy to help my little ones through stressful episodes, but as it's so controversial on here, I shall just mention Rescue Remedy. You can put a few drops in their water. Hope that doesn't get me shot down :shock::lol:

Haha its good to know! Very noisy here but all ripped out already. Hoping it'll continue to get quieter as the week goes on

Haha its good to know! Very noisy here but all ripped out already. Hoping it'll continue to get quieter as the week goes on

I've got the builders in, I sympathise! It certainly turns the house upside down moving the buns around to accommodate the builders :shock:

When there are fireworks I play a cd of music in the bunnies rooms, I think it softens the sudden bang noises and they seem ok with that. Would that be an idea?

Our boiler was condemned about 4 years ago and we haven't been able to have a replacement as I am too scared of scaring our nervous bunnies who live right near it :oops: this morning Cookie and Frankie were scared when I opened their door at the same time as my daughter pouring her cornflakes into a bowl nearby. I have no hope with the loud banging needed :lol: there is nowhere at all I can put them either :/

When there are fireworks I play a cd of music in the bunnies rooms, I think it softens the sudden bang noises and they seem ok with that. Would that be an idea?

Our boiler was condemned about 4 years ago and we haven't been able to have a replacement as I am too scared of scaring our nervous bunnies who live right near it :oops: this morning Cookie and Frankie were scared when I opened their door at the same time as my daughter pouring her cornflakes into a bowl nearby. I have no hope with the loud banging needed :lol: there is nowhere at all I can put them either :/
Speaking from experience, we got the boiler done about 2 months ago. It's done in a day. If it needs doing it needs doing, best to rip the plaster off!

We had months of the people re-fitting out the flat above us - I was very worried about the buns but they seemed completely unaffected by all the noise - so hopefully with all these suggestions your buns will be fine - fingers crossed.

Funnily enough I had my bathroom re-fitted just last week. I left Mr Higgins in his puppy pen in his own room. He normally has free range during the day so I was worried how he'd be being 'locked up' for a few days. I closes the door to soften the noise and stop any dust affecting him. I also put a radio on in the room and checked in on him every couple of hours. He was absolutely fine. I was obviously much more effected by it than he was. Good luck with your bunnies. I'm sure they'll be fine.

They've been fine today thanks. I stopped looking in at them because that was bothering them more. Wasn't too loud considering what needed doing. All good so far 😊

Back