• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have got a new bunny!

beki

Mama Doe
Since losing Ruby in August, Bertie has become depressed I think. He is actually letting me pick him up without a struggle. Anyway, we decided he probably would appreciate a new friend. I probably havent done the right thing getting an 8 week old baby bunny but we knew someone who had had a litter of bunnies so decided to have one. She is 8 weeks old and gorgeous! Black with one white foot. Bertie is an ec bun so I will be treating him for a month of panacure before I bond (will ask the vet if the baby needs treating when I get her vaccinated). At what age are babies spayed and would it be ok to bond before a spay?

She is very friendly, but at the moment nameless.

She has been indoors today and will be tonight as the hutch I got off free cycle needs a new bottom on it. I've got the wood so I will nail it on tomorrow. Will she be ok to go out at night? She has been in an Un heated shed so is used to the weather. I have a snuggle safe somewhere and will fill her butch with straw and hay.

Since losing Ruby in August, Bertie has become depressed I think. He is actually letting me pick him up without a struggle. Anyway, we decided he probably would appreciate a new friend. I probably havent done the right thing getting an 8 week old baby bunny but we knew someone who had had a litter of bunnies so decided to have one. She is 8 weeks old and gorgeous! Black with one white foot. Bertie is an ec bun so I will be treating him for a month of panacure before I bond (will ask the vet if the baby needs treating when I get her vaccinated). At what age are babies spayed and would it be ok to bond before a spay?

She is very friendly, but at the moment nameless.

She has been indoors today and will be tonight as the hutch I got off free cycle needs a new bottom on it. I've got the wood so I will nail it on tomorrow. Will she be ok to go out at night? She has been in an Un heated shed so is used to the weather. I have a snuggle safe somewhere and will fill her butch with straw and hay.

I would be reluctant to put her out, given she's been in a couple of days and the weather is turning freezing at night. Well it is here!

She can be spayed between 4 - 6 months. See here:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

You could certainly bond before a spay. He may pester her, but be probably will a little afterwards anyway. Just keep her apart and quiet for a week after her spay and possibly two depending on how she heals up.

Does she have a name? More importantly, are there any photos?
We love baby buns :love:

Hi, welcome to the new bunny. I must say I agree with Springfield. You need to keep her inside, as the weather has got much colder, especially at night. Also, you are going to be using a hutch that you don't really know the condition of.

She is called betsy :) I will get photos on soon.

I sorted the hutch today and I have had her out in it with a box of hay. It's pretty sturdy, it was attached to a run so had a trap door in the bottom. I have replaced the bottom entirely with a sheet of ply.

We are getting temperatures of around 9-10 degrees at night here, where I have been keeping her indoors has only probably been a few degrees warmer. My husband was quite insistant she go outdoors asap as we do not have an area to give an indoor bunny a proper living area any more due to 2 cats and 2 young children. If it is really too cold though I will try and persuade him otherwise but he is very grumpy! I've covered the hutch with a piece of carpet and put it up on a table.

Thanks mighty max, I will try and bond before a spay then, that will be better for Bertie. If I treat him for a month of lapizole, she will be a bit bigger by then and about ready to bond. She has huge ears so I think she will be pretty big, at least his size and he is a large Dutch, around 2.5 to 3 kilos!

I only have the one run so they will have to take it in turns in the run or one on the run, the other on the patio supervised. It's only a temp thing until they are bonded so I'm sure she will be ok :)

Back