• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleas! Can I use Advantage after Xeno 450?

Claire L

New Kit
Hello,
My rabbit was prescribed Xeno 450 on Saturday - we are trying to eliminate the possible causes of his seizures (a long story I won't go into). While we were at the vets, we spotted fleas in his fur - oh the horror! The vet said the Xeno would treat fleas as well. But reading about Xeno online, I see its active ingredient ivermectin has little or no effect on fleas. This is very frustrating and it will be the last time we visit this vet, whose rabbit knowledge is below par. (Rabbit savvy vets in Hove, anyone??)

Does anyone with any medical knowledge no whether I can treat him with Advantage 80 a couple of days after having a dose of Xeno 450? Obviously getting rid of fleas is my priority. He's a house bunny =:eek:)

Many thanks, Claire

Hello,
My rabbit was prescribed Xeno 450 on Saturday - we are trying to eliminate the possible causes of his seizures (a long story I won't go into). While we were at the vets, we spotted fleas in his fur - oh the horror! The vet said the Xeno would treat fleas as well. But reading about Xeno online, I see its active ingredient ivermectin has little or no effect on fleas. This is very frustrating and it will be the last time we visit this vet, whose rabbit knowledge is below par. (Rabbit savvy vets in Hove, anyone??)

Does anyone with any medical knowledge no whether I can treat him with Advantage 80 a couple of days after having a dose of Xeno 450? Obviously getting rid of fleas is my priority. He's a house bunny =:eek:)

Many thanks, Claire

Hi Claire

Welcome to RU :wave:

I wouldn't have thought it would be contra indicated after a dose of Xeno. But remember that both the Xeno and the Advantage will have to be repeated. Your vet should be able to advise you whether it's OK to give these two concurrently.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Bayer_plc/Advantage/-40837.html

Are you saying that the Xeno was given to eliminate the cause of his seizures? Did the vet think that mites/fleas may be the cause?

Hi - thank you for the reply. Yes, the vet wants to rule out ear mites, even though there are no obvious signs.

Thanks for the very useful link for Noah - what a great site! I'll try and speak to the vet tomorrow but they're pretty hopeless. I'd like to get the Advantage onto him soon, bless him. We've sprayed the house and washed all his bedding. Now it's just the host we need to treat!

My vet checked with the manufacturer, Bayer. Apparently Advantage *can* be used at the same time as Xeno 450, but they would recommend not applying the two treatments on the same day.

My vet checked with the manufacturer, Bayer. Apparently Advantage *can* be used at the same time as Xeno 450, but they would recommend not applying the two treatments on the same day.

Thank you for that. It's what I kind of thought.

Don't want too many chemicals on him all at the same time. I hope you can get rid of the fleas *and* the seizures.
Good luck!

Back