• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I dont know which breed to get.

chloe60

Young Bun
I was set on having two more netherland dwarfs after i lost mine not so long ago, however i dont know if now i want to try somthing different. I want a bunny who is going to enjoy my company and going to want to come up to me and snuggle with me? Are any breeds like this or can netherland dwarfs be like this too? Does it just depend on personality or am i overthinking it and should get the netherland dwarfs anyway? Only i have been reading that they tend to get nippy although Oscar was never like that but didnt enjoy being snuggled much?

Ask your local rescue if they have a pair of snuggly buns and leave it to fate?

Quite often you won't really know until they are a little older and neutered (ie at least 4-6 months old). What you get then is what will stay. So getting a pair of babies won't necessarily tell you what their temperament will be. I think rescues are best placed to give you a true picture of 'your' bunnies - and save you the hassle of neutering and bonding. Pet shops and 'breeders' are basically selling 'stock' and probably won't spend much time with individual rabbits.

Ask your local rescue if they have a pair of snuggly buns and leave it to fate?

Quite often you won't really know until they are a little older and neutered (ie at least 4-6 months old). What you get then is what will stay. So getting a pair of babies won't necessarily tell you what their temperament will be. I think rescues are best placed to give you a true picture of 'your' bunnies - and save you the hassle of neutering and bonding. Pet shops and 'breeders' are basically selling 'stock' and probably won't spend much time with individual rabbits.
Thankyou! I have looked on shelters websites but not many do the kind of rabbit i want and by that i mean small-medium. I dont think a larger rabbit is right for me hence why i was thinking of getting two babies and bringing them up and seeing then. However i do agree with the hassle of neutering and rebonding and stuff like that. I just dont know what to do.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I would recommend going to your local rescues to see the rabbits they have, they might not have all the rabbits listed on their website, they are often so busy caring for the rabbits that they might not get time to update the website. Also, you might find you fall in love with some rabbits due to their personality, rather than what you thought you might like.

When I went to the rspca to get a cat I fancied an older female cat, however, a black and white young male cat picked me and I fell in love with him immediately.

And again, I went to my local rescue last year to help out at open day, and ended up falling in love with Boots, and I didn't even think I was going to get another rabbit :lol: he is the cuddliest rabbit I have ever met :love:

I would recommend going to your local rescues to see the rabbits they have, they might not have all the rabbits listed on their website, they are often so busy caring for the rabbits that they might not get time to update the website. Also, you might find you fall in love with some rabbits due to their personality, rather than what you thought you might like.

When I went to the rspca to get a cat I fancied an older female cat, however, a black and white young male cat picked me and I fell in love with him immediately.

And again, I went to my local rescue last year to help out at open day, and ended up falling in love with Boots, and I didn't even think I was going to get another rabbit [emoji38] he is the cuddliest rabbit I have ever met :love:
I dont have many near me that are easily accessible to which is why i was looking on the website. I got in touch with my local animal shelter just to see if they had any at all and they didnt. They dont get many rabbits in from where im from. Which is why i resorted to breeders of either netherland dwarfs or mini-lops. I just dont know of the two which ones would be better to get.

If you look on rabbit rehome there are quite a few rescues who have rabbits in Tyne and Wear.http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

I have a mini lop and a netherland dwarf and a mixed breed dwarf. My mini lop is by far the cuddliest most affectionate - she'll sit with her head in my lap and I'll pet her for about 10 minutes before she hops away and lays down. My mixed breed dwarf is very excitable and entertaining to have around and will sometimes some over for some attention. But my netherland dwarf is far more skittish and doesn't enjoy human company. I've had her three weeks now and she's only just let me stroke her on the head without running off quickly (the others took a matter of days). I know it depends on the personality of the rabbit itself, but if I was to recommend any breed as affectionate it would definitely be the mini lop (I've had 3 over the years).
I would also suggest looking into rescuing for all of the reasons already mentioned. I hope you find your new bunny/bunnies very soon!

I have a mini lop and a netherland dwarf and a mixed breed dwarf. My mini lop is by far the cuddliest most affectionate - she'll sit with her head in my lap and I'll pet her for about 10 minutes before she hops away and lays down. My mixed breed dwarf is very excitable and entertaining to have around and will sometimes some over for some attention. But my netherland dwarf is far more skittish and doesn't enjoy human company. I've had her three weeks now and she's only just let me stroke her on the head without running off quickly (the others took a matter of days). I know it depends on the personality of the rabbit itself, but if I was to recommend any breed as affectionate it would definitely be the mini lop (I've had 3 over the years).
I would also suggest looking into rescuing for all of the reasons already mentioned. I hope you find your new bunny/bunnies very soon!
Thankyou, i have been swaying more towards mini lops for a little bit and cant help but feel i wanted another netherland to fill in that place where Oscar ( netherland dwarf) left when he died. Although nothing could ever replace him ever! This helped alot though thankyou!

Do you have any images of your mini lop? How big do they grow? Is it much biggger than a netherland dwarf?

Yeah she's bigger than the Netherland. My lop is the one in my picture. The only time she was weighed was last year when I got her and she was about 3kg which the vet said was a little overweight so she's been on a diet since then. You would definitely notice a size difference between the Netherland and the Lop. But they are not a big rabbit - medium I think is how they are classed. They're just a bit cuddlier in terms of size etc. But, you're obviously experienced in Nethies and it sounds like you had a lovely bond with your last one - I think they require slightly more time and patience before they accept you than the slightly larger breeds do. But it is hard to put a definite answer to this because you could end up getting a rabbit of any breed with a bad temper or a lovely rabbit of a breed you'd not thought of before. I think that's why rescues are so good though because you can asses which rabbits you get on with, without already having bought them.

Yeah she's bigger than the Netherland. My lop is the one in my picture. The only time she was weighed was last year when I got her and she was about 3kg which the vet said was a little overweight so she's been on a diet since then. You would definitely notice a size difference between the Netherland and the Lop. But they are not a big rabbit - medium I think is how they are classed. They're just a bit cuddlier in terms of size etc. But, you're obviously experienced in Nethies and it sounds like you had a lovely bond with your last one - I think they require slightly more time and patience before they accept you than the slightly larger breeds do. But it is hard to put a definite answer to this because you could end up getting a rabbit of any breed with a bad temper or a lovely rabbit of a breed you'd not thought of before. I think that's why rescues are so good though because you can asses which rabbits you get on with, without already having bought them.
Im just so stuck because i love netherlands because oscar was just lovely, but he only seemed to trust me.. he would grunt whenever someone else went to touch him even though they all spent time with him before. He wasnt like that with me. I think my problem is i could leave two little nethies and be left with a mini lop who could be quite mean or vice versa. But i definitely want them because i just feel so empty without ozzy. Thankyou for the advice though :)

Then again i dont know if handling them alot could make them more affectionate or does that not matter?

I think as you are so torn about what breed to get you should just not decide on a particular breed and just go along and have a look at some bunnies at a rescue and see which stand out to you. Or wherever you decide to get your bunnies from just see which ones you are instantly drawn to. It might be a lionhead or something!
Sometimes you just see a bunny and instantly know it is the one for you - it could be in a pet shop, or a rescue etc.
I never wanted dwarf rabbits but when I saw Albie (my mixed breed dwarf) I just couldn't go home without him for some reason. So I would look for one that stands out to you regardless of breed :)

Thankyou so much for all of the advice!! Its really really helped :)

Back