• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Portable bird of prey protection? Bird netting?

William

Wise Old Thumper
Bird netting is the only thing I can think of that would work as bird of prey protection but I wonder how easy it'd be to remove and put back up everyday? I was thinking of just stringing some netting to some trees so that it'd cover a large area, sitting out there with my buns while they have their playtime, and then remove the netting when I bring my buns back indoors.

Has anyone ever used bird netting before for this?

I use some small mesh netting off a roll (probably pea netting or pond cover) to cover over a large (by UK standards) irregular area in my front garden. It is fenced off by puppy panels and one end has a 6' x 4' corrugated panel as a rain shelter, The rest has the netting hooked on to all the puppy panel stakes. It works well enough to discourage cats and birds from getting in, and the piggies can't get out. It isn't going to stop bigger predators (dogs / foxes) or a very determined cat - but there is a solid fence round the rest of the garden (a couple of feet away). Moving it regularly does rip it fairly easily, so you need to be really careful.

Thanks (and sorry for the late reply!) Just what I was hoping to hear! I think I'll go ahead and try the bird netting then and just be really careful not to rip it. I suppose if I do end up ripping it eventually it's cheap enough that it won't be a big deal.

It's really the only way I've been able to think of that I'll be able to allow the buns to free range outside again since we have hawks all the time in our yard. Usually they just fly high up in the sky with the occasional circling low/swooping/perching in our yard so I just follow the buns around the yard, making sure I keep right on their tails. But all this year they're constantly perching in our yard and swooping low, often skimming over the water on the pond.

There's too big a chance the buns for whatever reason will run away from me and a hawk could be perching nearby and see their chance to snatch them. Several years ago one of my pekin ducks hatched out a single duckling and as I was watching nearby, waiting for the duckling to get close enough to catch, a hawk swooped down and snatched the duckling quick as lightning :( Literally one of those blink and you miss it things, So I know how fast and easily it could happen. And they're not even scared of people. They'll sit there and perch like 8 ft up in a tree and I'll stand below yelling and waving my arms trying to get them to leave in case they're eyeing my free range birds and they don't even care! Sometimes waving a long metal pole with an orange strip of material on the end will make them leave but only if they're perching low enough. Otherwise they seem smart enough to know that the pole isn't any threat.

It's awesome to see them close up so much though! I feel quite lucky to be able to observe birds of prey in my own backyard. There's one that's in the habit lately of sitting on our fence or chimney or a neighbor's right around dusk most days. Not sure why.

Back