• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a quad

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Carob kindly drove me to Catherine's to pick up my four buns yesterday evening. Catherine had been fostering them for me while I recover from a hysterectomy. I've decided now is an ideal time to bond them. I used to have 11 buns and now only have 6 but still have the same number of runs and hutches. I won't be adopting any more in the foreseeable future due to not being able to deal with the vet bills so it makes sense to put the four outdoor buns together so that two of them can have a lot more space. Also if one goes to Rainbow Bridge I won't have the worry of then having to try to bond the survivor with the other two.

My partner built me a pen in the lounge with a divider in and I left them in the two pairs overnight. A girlfriend took me out in the car today to wander around the shops and have some lunch and as soon as I got back I removed the divider and have let bonding commence. One of them - Violet - is fighting with the two new buns - but it isn't too aggressive so I haven't intervened.

All four buns are BARC buns - so pretty naughty bunnies anyway:lol:

I'm off work and can't drive due to the op so it is a good time for me to bond. I do have to be careful bending and can't lift more than one bun up at a time but I do have my stick to gently separate bunnies if necessary. We have an extra hour tonight so I may well sleep on the settee.

Successful bonding vibes for Frangipan, Faye, Violet and Zippy would be gratefully appreciated.

Ooh good luck!

How are you feeling? I hope it goes well but don't tire yourself out too much with rascally rabbits!

Good luck! I hope they're a relatively easy bond, it can be such a stressful process. When I started to bond my quad, I had never seen how aggressive rabbits can be as I'd had my girls together since birth and they'd always gotten along. Lucky for me though, they seemed to bond themselves! My cheeky little lop would somehow manage to jump the fence whenever I wasn't around. I remember one afternoon I came out to find BOTH boys snuggling next to the girls. I had still had no idea how they were getting over, then I saw them jump on their house and over the fence to greet me. :lol: They seemed to have sorted out the pecking order with minimal fur flying, so I took down the divider to see what would happen. There was very little scuffling thankfully, and they've lived pretty content with eachother ever since! I wish you all the best bonding your bunnies! :D

It's going remarkably well. I put the divider up last night as I'd had a busy day and realised I wouldn't have slept on the settee. It's nearly 30 years old and very uncomfortable.

I removed the divider when I got up and there have been no fights at all. I've risked leaving them unsupervised when I've needed the loo or a drink and there has been no scuffling - I would hear if there was as it's only a small house.

They are still sticking to their own companions but not avoiding the other buns and they all seem quite content. Fingers crossed the peace continues!

I haven't taken any photos as I have forgotten how to use photobucket.

The quad moved outside this evening. They are all fine together and I needed to get them back outside so I can start putting a fire on in the lounge. I was under three blankets last night and still shivering. I also need the puppy panels to make a pen for Cherry and Hovis so I can get them home.

Apart from a couple of very brief scuffles, they bonded really easily. None of them got stressed and Zippy did lots of DBF. Fran and Zippy especially seem to have taken to each other. I removed one of the two food dishes early on and all four gathered around and nommed happily together - no aggression at all.

If only all bonds were as easy.

I know there is a risk it could all go horribly wrong now they have more space but they are all pretty laid back bunnies anyway. I will be keeping an eye on them and will check them over for injuries. I sleep above their pen and hutches so I would hear if they started fighting.

Ace news. Are they the bunnies in the photo Catherine sent? (they were gorgeous). Nice to hear you can have all your fur babies home with you soon x

Ace news. Are they the bunnies in the photo Catherine sent? (they were gorgeous). Nice to hear you can have all your fur babies home with you soon x

Yes, it's those four. I'm very nervous about having Cherry and Hovis home as they both need nursing. It's lovely to have the quad back but I will need help cleaning the lower hutch. I was pleased how easily I got all three buns to bed tonight - Fran was already there nomming hay. It was a relief not to have to chase them as I can't at the moment.

You've bonded a quad? Mightily impressed by that :thumb:

Thank you. I did six of my buns at one point when I had eleven bunnies. I have done a lot of bonding as I bond for other people. I've had some not work though, so I know it's not always possible. I'm relieved this was so easy as I was not up to hopping in and out of a pen to separate fighting buns.

Thank you. I did six of my buns at one point when I had eleven bunnies. I have done a lot of bonding as I bond for other people. I've had some not work though, so I know it's not always possible. I'm relieved this was so easy as I was not up to hopping in and out of a pen to separate fighting buns.

Maybe they sensed their mum needed their bond to be easy as possible for you & obliged:)

Great update. What is their set up like? Mine have a shed and aviary that they can access 24/7.

Hope all continues to be harmonious.

wow - good luck & hope you recover speedily..but take it easy - best to heal right now then have problems later ...I want a quad1 lol! Ive got a split trio..

I'm so glad they have all bonded together :D

Would a small shed be easier for you to cope with long term? Or a playhouse. I seem to remember the aviary is 5ft wide so if we could find something secondhand that would fit the space well I could see if me and Dean could come and help? Probably wouldn't be til after Xmas as we've sold the trailer now and George (the pickup) is getting fixed the end of December (Dean's stepdad is a mechanic but they live up north so we are waiting til he can come down)

ETA: or we could try and work out how to put a roof up so you don't have to put them to bed each night. Dean is quite handy as you know he helped me with the kennels and has built runs before

I'm so glad they have all bonded together :D

Would a small shed be easier for you to cope with long term? Or a playhouse. I seem to remember the aviary is 5ft wide so if we could find something secondhand that would fit the space well I could see if me and Dean could come and help? Probably wouldn't be til after Xmas as we've sold the trailer now and George (the pickup) is getting fixed the end of December (Dean's stepdad is a mechanic but they live up north so we are waiting til he can come down)

ETA: or we could try and work out how to put a roof up so you don't have to put them to bed each night. Dean is quite handy as you know he helped me with the kennels and has built runs before

A roof would be fantastic - that was the original plan as with the shifts I do the bunnies end up staying outside quite late some nights.

The quad are doing well and so far have put themselves to bed most nights, which is a huge relief as I can't chase them or crawl under things to reach them when they hide. They all seem happy enough.

Back