• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help and advice please?

Bunbun3000

New Kit
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a bit of advice really!

I have a lot of time on my hands recently and have considered setting up bunny boarding as a hobby. I wouldn't be looking to make money from this, just enough to cover my costs. I have a second garden that I don't use and I thought that this could be a great place to set up as it has a locked gate and it surrounded by 12 foot high walls so is extremely safe and as a bonus, it is rather large.

My thought was to adapt a 10x8 shed for indoor rabbits. It would be insulated, have electric running to it and also would be heated. In it would be 5 built in 'runs'. 3 of these runs would be 2x6ft and 2 runs would be 2x8 ft. The larger runs would have cat flaps that open into secure runs which would be 8x8 & would be accessible 24 hours a day to the buns, weather permitting. The rabbits staying in smaller runs would be placed in an 8x8 run during the day, again, this would be weather permitting.

There would also be 2 double storey outdoor hutches which would be 6x2 and would have permanent access to an 8x8 run.

All rabbits would be given a choice of bedding from sawdust to fleece liners or anything else that they are used to using at home. Litter trays would also be provided with substrate of the owners choice. It goes without saying that spot cleaning would be done as soon as its noticed and substrate and bedding will be changed every 3 days, if not soiled and therefor changed before this time.

I would provide fresh, homegrown veggies and oxbow Timothy hay would be given unlimited my to any boarders. The only thing I'd ask for the bunny to bring would be their main food.

I would offer a service that through Facebook, iMessage or whatsapp I would give updates on the bunny including pictures and videos up to once a day at the owners request.

I would also provide toys etc for boarders and instead of business cards, I'd send the buns home with an edible wooden chew with the boarding details. I'd have these professionally commissioned as I have 0 artistic talent!

What's everyone's thoughts? Would you use a service like this? Is there anything I've not thought of that would be important to you when boarding your bun?

Thank you so much!

If I was to board an animal, I would be looking for:
- somewhere with CCTV monitoring for extra security
- places that only accept vaccinated animals
- some details of how each enclosure and associated items (tunnels, bowls, toys) are cleaned between boarders (runs on grass can't be disinfected, unpainted wood can't be cleaned properly)
- reassurance of the experience of the person I was boarding with (basics, signs of illness, experience with special needs eg injections and medicating, grooming)
- which vet you use / if you would use my vet.
- if there were animals of other species at the same address (ie stress factors for rabbits)
- insurances (animal cover, public liabilty, etc)

The last thing I want is an animal to be lost or become sick while in the care of someone else. For short stays, I would prefer smaller runs that are fully disinfected (eg steam or bleach) than grass that is effectively shared with everyone.

There are a few people on here that run bunny boarding establishments - they may be able to give you a few pointers.

Good luck with your new venture.

Thank you for your help!

It's entirely concrete down there and to be honest, I had no plans to change it as, like you said, steam cleaning would be done between boarders and grass is not very sanitary.

My thoughts on cleaning the hutches and pens would be exactly the same as I do for my rabbit with the addition of steam cleaning all of the surfaces. So the tiled run walls and anti slip tiled floors would be steam cleaned and then washed down thoroughly with vinegar and water prior to any next boarder entering. All toys would be plastic where possible and these would be sterilised and then washed down with vinegar solution prior to the next boarder. Wooden hide houses would be painted with pet safe paint and cleaned thoroughly with steam and vinegar solution unless they have been chewed in which case they would be replaced. Outdoor hutches would be washed the same way.

Where fleece bedding is used, this will have recieved a full boil wash with vinegar before use in any pen or hutch.

I forgot to mention that the entire grounds of the house are already covered by cctv and it would be possible to create a link for customers to watch their buns live whenever they wished to.

Of course all pets accepted would be vaccinated and proof of this would be held for other customers to see on request.

I would always use your vet unless they were out with a 20 mile radius of my location in which case I would take them to my local small animal hospital which has a rabbit only vet. My own buns go here and they are very clued up!

I do have 3 dogs as well as 2 bunnies of my own. The dogs are fully up to date with all vaccines and worming/ tick/ flea etc as are my rabbits. The dogs use a different garden and have no access at all to where the business would be. The bunnies also use a different garden and wouldn't come in any contact at all with boarders. Exceptional personal hygiene would be exercised in order to prevent cross contamination both between boarders and between boarders and my pets.

I would also undoubtedly get pet plans small animal boarder insurance and also public liability insurance. All customers would need to sign forms to better protect both themselves and me.

Hopefully that clears everything up. I'd really like to make a go of this so please do let me know if there's anything else, good or bad, I'm exceptionally grateful for everyone's feedback!

If I was to board an animal, I would be looking for:
- somewhere with CCTV monitoring for extra security
- places that only accept vaccinated animals
- some details of how each enclosure and associated items (tunnels, bowls, toys) are cleaned between boarders (runs on grass can't be disinfected, unpainted wood can't be cleaned properly)
- reassurance of the experience of the person I was boarding with (basics, signs of illness, experience with special needs eg injections and medicating, grooming)
- which vet you use / if you would use my vet.
- if there were animals of other species at the same address (ie stress factors for rabbits)
- insurances (animal cover, public liabilty, etc)

The last thing I want is an animal to be lost or become sick while in the care of someone else. For short stays, I would prefer smaller runs that are fully disinfected (eg steam or bleach) than grass that is effectively shared with everyone.

There are a few people on here that run bunny boarding establishments - they may be able to give you a few pointers.

Good luck with your new venture.

Last edited:
I haven't used a boarding service as yet so can't claim any level of expertise on the subject but what you've said so far sounds good. I would especially like to be able to see my bunnies via the cctv. I have indoor rabbits and struggled to find somewhere locally that offered indoor boarding (have now identified 1 but not had to use them as yet) so maybe if your area has a shortage too and you have the space that might be another option you could offer?

Hopefully someone more experienced in either using or running a boarding service will be able to give you more info. Good luck with your venture.

I took one of my bunnies to a rescue centre to be boarded whilst attempting to bond her. Whilst she was away the only way I could check how she was doing was to go and visit her which wasn't practical as their opening times were during normal working hours. I think having the option to be able to see the rabbits via camera would be a great idea and also sending texts/ photo updates to owners if they ask for it would be excellent. I know I would personally love that- Even when I'm away for one night I still text my mum to make sure the buns are okay! Being easy to contact is probably one of the biggest things I would look for now.
Would it just be you looking after them all? Personally I'd like to know that whilst I'm away my buns will be getting attention each day - stroked and played with for a little bit of time.
It sounds good that you've got a completely separate garden area for the business and that it is pretty secure - sounds like he perfect set up for a bunny boarding business.
I wish I could join you and play with the bunnies all day!

Back