• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ruby is getting spayed

KatieMax

Warren Scout
Hi everyone :wave:

Ruby is getting spayed on the 2nd November so that I can start looking for a friend for her. But I'm worried about what I should be doing post op. She lives outside in her chicken coop hutch and she is going to be staying outside over winter so I don't want her to come inside and lose her winter coat. I was thinking what I could do would be to bring her in to a spare bedroom with the heating off and the window left open. But I don't know if that will stay cool enough, and I'm also worried about what effect this will have on the heating costs. I'm getting a new hutch early November, but she can't go in there until she is bonded to her new friend. I could possibly see if I could move her op earlier so that it won't be as cold outside by the time she is fit and healthy. But I'm not sure whether a week will make any difference.

So I thought I'd see what you think I should do. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Rosie was done a week ago. She spent a week inside and the last 4 days had Buster in the crate with her. They both went out fine. I did make sure I had blankets and extra straw in there for warmth. She probably would be ok .. our leaflet said after anesethic they can go back out after 24 hrs. Buster did and he was fine. A week probably won't make any difference. I mean if I'm honest its not actually that cold out .. I think its still quite mild out for the time of year. I'm sure I saw somewhere on here that they had a rescue and put them out straight away in all temps .. don't quote me on that though. Sorry i've not been very helpful have I lol!!

At this time of the year it's probably best to keep Ruby indoors overnight and then return her to her normal accommodation the next day. Remember she mustn't jump or run up ramps etc for a good week post spay. Will you be able to restrict her in the upstairs part of the coop?

I can restrict her, although it'll make her unhappy. Better than her ripping her stitches though, and it'll keep her warm until she is recovered. She has her litter tray and food up there anyway. I guess her current hutch will be easier than the new hutch to keep her contained to one level, as this one has a door that I can close to keep her inside.

After a week will she be back to normal and able to have a run around again? I can't till I can get her a friend, I think she'll be so much happier.

:D I have always kept mine restricted for 10 days when they have their stitches removed, and this is also what the Vet advises. So, it's up to your better judgement - as long as there is no jumping or going mad then a little hop around should not be harmful. It will be lovely when she has a friend :thumb:

Okay, thanks for the tips :) I think I'll keep her inside for a night, in the unheated room with open window. Then I'll put her outside and restrict her to the inside area for 7 days depending on how she is doing. She doesn't do any jumping or going mad in her current hutch unfortunately because there just isn't enough room. Hopefully one benefit of this will be that she can be let out of the inside area a bit earlier, but I'll talk to the vet about it.

So after her stitches are removed will she be free to run around again? She'll be going made after 10 days in her hutch. I've found a rescue (Yorkshire Rabbit Retreat) who have boy rabbits, yay! So hopefully once everything is healed, by mid November the bonding process can begin :D

Rosie was done on Wednesday, I caged her until today as she was rattling her bars, I think she had enough being caged. I think like others have said you should bring her inside the first couple of days, make sure there is nothing she can jump up on. Rosie knows herself what she cannot do as she is taking it easier than normal. Make sure to ask for pain relief for the first few days. Rosie had stitches that dissolve so I wouldn't have to take her back. She was back today though as after cage rest she managed to split her wound slightly and was a bit sneezy but all down to the GA. She is now a lot happier that she is not caged and relaxing in her normal spots

My two had dissolvable stitches so we don't have to go back now. Still check their wounds if I get a chance too and everything seems fine. Yes do ask about pain relief .. its difficult to get it but it isa a must!!

I'll make sure to try and get pain relief from the vets. I don't look forward to trying to get Ruby to take it though. I worry this whole process is going to ruin the fragile trust she has in me, but I suppose it can't be helped, and it is for the best in the long run.

I'll make sure to try and get pain relief from the vets. I don't look forward to trying to get Ruby to take it though. I worry this whole process is going to ruin the fragile trust she has in me, but I suppose it can't be helped, and it is for the best in the long run.

I put Rosie's in a small cube of Apple as it was the only was without stressing her. She eats it no problem [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What form does the pain relief come as? Is it a tablet?

Also, what should I be using as bedding? I was planning on just using towels for the first night while she is indoors in a pen, but once she is back in her hutch (restricted to the indoor section) what can I give her then? Normally she has towels/bathmats with straw and hay on top, but I'm worried this will irritate her wound. But I don't want her to get cold either without the insulation.

So what should I do?

Also, how long after her being spayed can I find her a friend. I was assuming a couple of weeks, so mid November, but am I being optimistic?

It's liquid form, towels is a good idea. I think straw is ok, just no sawdust etc. You could maybe get her a snuggle safe. I think you have to allow around 6 weeks for hormones to settle down before introductions xx

Is that for females as well? Because I've read a lot of articles that say that after 2 weeks she will be ready for introductions. But for males you need to wait 6 weeks because that's how long it takes before they are infertile.

I'm so confused by this whole thing, and really panicked about something going wrong :( She is 2.5 years old after all, I'm worried this will all go wrong.

You could use Vetbed, it's nice and warm, won't irritate her wound and it will keep her dry - is Ruby litter trained? Or you could put down a thick layer of newspaper. Ruby needs to be well recovered from her spay before she meets any boyfriends as there could be chasing and humping, maybe a scuffle or two, so this is why she needs to be fit enough. At least 3 weeks. Then there is the issue of hormones - is she hormonal at the moment? If she is then it can take 6 weeks, maybe longer, for hormones to settle. You should be able to judge this yourself by noticing her habits.

If all goes as it should do, you will possibly be looking at the beginning of December when you can find her a friend.

How can you tell if they are hormonal? Vet beds are great, Rosie loves hers xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will there be chasing and humping if they are both done? I'm not sure how I would tell if she's hormonal, except that she is slightly territorial and grunts when I stroke her in her hutch. She doesn't attack anymore though, so I was putting that down to her being nervous of any contact. I've only had her a week and she is already calmer. May be due to the fact that she is getting some exercise now as well. Is there any other way to tell if she is hormonal?

Waiting till December will be really stressful for me. Their new hutch arrives next week (fingers crossed) and will be masses bigger and warmer than the one she is in now. It seems silly for it to sit empty for a month after that. Do you mean September if she is hormonal, or if she isn't?

I looked at vetbed and they look good, very warm. But they are pricey, and with the cost of her spay and dental work next week I'm not sure I can splash out on a new blanket. Will she be alright with towels?

I got a small vet bed of Amazon for £7:50. Towels are grand. If she isn't hormonal December if she is your better waiting. Rosie is only 5 months so I've never seen her hormonal just playful.

That's what I'm wondering too, maybe someone can tell us. Female rabbits are territorial which is maybe why she grunts when you put your hand in her cage.

Back