• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, rabbit sneezing and stuff coming out

xxx_Ra_xxx

Warren Scout
Ok so Rosie was spayed on Wednesday and everything was grand. Just there tonight she sneezed and stuff came out her nose. She hasn't done it again but what can this be. I've never seen this before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't know for sure but maybe the stress of the spay has upset the pasteurella in her nose so I would tell the Vet tomorrow. Maybe it was just a one-off, perhaps she had got some dust up her nose. Hoping she will be ok.

She has only done it once so far. Will be on to the vet tomorrow first thing. Thanks

I agree that getting Rosie seen by a Vet today is necessary. The Vet will actually need to examine her including listening to her lungs with a stethoscope.It is not really a situation that can be dealt with over the phone. I hope all goes well for her xx

Ok so Rosie was spayed on Wednesday and everything was grand. Just there tonight she sneezed and stuff came out her nose. She hasn't done it again but what can this be. I've never seen this before

An operation like a spay involving a GA can deplete the immune system of any animal - a GA would do that in a human too.

You could try giving echinacea to boost her immune system, and ring the vet to see what they say, if she needs to go in to be examined. Is she going to have a post op check up?

An operation like a spay involving a GA can deplete the immune system of any animal - a GA would do that in a human too.

You could try giving echinacea to boost her immune system, and ring the vet to see what they say, if she needs to go in to be examined. Is she going to have a post op check up?

Took her to the vet today, they have given her Baytril for 5 days and an injection today. I will get her some echinacea. She also needed some glue as her wound had slightly opened. I haven't caged her now as she was so stressed in it. Where would I get some echinacea?

Last edited:
Took her to the vet today, they have given her Baytril for 5 days and an injection today. I will get her some echinacea. She also needed some glue as her wound had slightly opened. I haven't caged her now as she was so stressed in it. Where would I get some echinacea?

You can buy it here in drop form:

http://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

Or you can get it dried in packets (it's Coneflower) ... or find a herbal capsule and open it and sprinkle onto food. This is what I do.

PM me if you need any more details or help with this ... x

Stress can lower the immune system and cause pasturella to flare up and cause a respiratory infection, so try to keep her as comfortable as possible and away from other animals/loud noises etc.

'Snuffles' as it is often called, is very common in rabbits and can be a one-time thing brought on by stress/low immune system or can reoccur, but with proper treatment it can be managed.

Stress can lower the immune system and cause pasturella to flare up and cause a respiratory infection, so try to keep her as comfortable as possible and away from other animals/loud noises etc.

'Snuffles' as it is often called, is very common in rabbits and can be a one-time thing brought on by stress/low immune system or can reoccur, but with proper treatment it can be managed.

Thanks, she's back in the back hall and not caged tonight. She seems a lot less stressed now she's got her freedom back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back