• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor honey has a bad ear infection

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Over the last couple of days my little honey just hasn't been right, and on Tuesday would not stop itching her ears. So back off to the vets we went..

My poor little girl now has a bad ear infection in both ears! Both had white pus and very swollen. She's on anti-biotic ear drops, Metacam & baytril just until we get the culture results back and hopefully we can change to another stronger anti-biotic.

Life is just so unfair.. My poor little bunny!

We have already been through enough, & she's looking so down & quiet today! Any extra special vibes would be really appreciated. She is still eating & pooing fine, although her poos are slightly smaller & I am keeping a very close eye!

Xx

Hi everyone,

Over the last couple of days my little honey just hasn't been right, and on Tuesday would not stop itching her ears. So back off to the vets we went..

My poor little girl now has a bad ear infection in both ears! Both had white pus and very swollen. She's on anti-biotic ear drops, Metacam & baytril just until we get the culture results back and hopefully we can change to another stronger anti-biotic.

Life is just so unfair.. My poor little bunny!

We have already been through enough, & she's looking so down & quiet today! Any extra special vibes would be really appreciated. She is still eating & pooing fine, although her poos are slightly smaller & I am keeping a very close eye!

Xx

I'm so sorry to hear this :cry:

Life is throwing too many wobbly balls at you at the moment ...

Millions of vibes for Honey ... and strength for you!

Sending vibes for your lovely Honey, she is such a sweet bunny. My bunny Lola had Canaural for hers and it cleared it straightaway. Hopefully Honeys goes just as quickly xx

Oh no poor Honey :(

Hopefully by doing the culture they'll be able to identify more quickly the best antibiotic to deal with it. Adding lots of vibes for her to get better soon xx

Thanks so much everyone!!

Really appreciate your vibes, she seems a little brighter tonight which is good, but her poos are still quite small so I'm tempting her with everything at the moment. The vets have just called to check in and see how she's doing and have had growth on the culture sample which is good, they are saying they are still testing at the moment but hope to have a new confirmed anti-biotic for us tomorrow.

I have noticed she is always sitting in the loafed position with her front paws pulled forward, is this okay? Sorry to ask a stupid question but honey has always been a completely lied out bunny and have never really seen her in this position before?! Xx

Pleased Honey is a littlle brighter tonight. I don't think sitting in the "loaf" position is a bad sign at all. Maybe the Baytril is doing some good :thumb:

Oh no - I can't believe you're having more bunny trouble! I hope they can nip this in the bud quickly. Poor girl x

If it is cooler than usual, bun loafing can be normal as they do it to help retain body heat. But if it isn't a normal position for her and the temp isn't noticeably different, it could indicate pain and/or discomfort as rabbits will also do it when they aren't feeling well, especially if they are also eye squinting, which is another indication of pain.

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your vibes for my little girl! :) being honest she is still doing the odd loafing positions, but no where near as many which is a relief so I'm guessing she was in quite some discomfort the other night! :( but on a plus side her poos have finally increased in size! Still not quite a 100% but a lot better than they we're and she's been jumping on the sofa!! - got to be a good sign!! :)

Here's my little girl looking rather sorry for herself as she's just had her meds;

Mmmmm herbs!!

Last edited:
Oh bless her :love: Glad she seems to be doing better, looks like the metacam is making her feel more comfortable. Hopefully the antibiotics are getting to grips with the infection xx

I am glad she is feeling a little better and being more active now that she is on pain meds and abx.
Sending your Honey some extra vibes--and some for you too.

Back