• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those who grow their own?

anachronism

Young Bun
I bought 4 seed trays at the weekend, and have planted two today with timothy grass seed. I've ordered a mix from ebay made of many different seeds to put in the other two.

The mix contains:

1. Meadow fescue

2. Cocksfoot

3. Sheeps fescue

4. Tall fescue

5. Creeping red fescue

6. Red fescue

7. Timothy grass

8. Dandelion

9. Chickweed

10. Crimson Clover

11. White clover

12. Red clover

13. Aslike clover

14. Chicory

15. Plantain

2. Trefoil

17. Yarrow

18. Shepards Purse

19. Vetch

20. Ladys bedstraw

21. Hedge bedstraw

22. Knapweed

23. Chickweed

24. White Musk Mallow

Would this and the timothy grass be treated like giving him veggies, or as good as hay? Obviously I would still give him a lot of hay but would these plants go in the vegetables section or lumped in with the hay so as much as he wants?

Also fellow growers, what plants do you grow?

I think I have some of the same seed mix! Haven't got round to actually sowing it yet though, I must get that sorted out.

I plan to set aside a portion of the lawn for hay production next year - more for my own amusement than anything else, I don't think I could keep up with the amount my boys get through (and they are only tiny Nethies)! As well as that I'll sow patches of timothy, cocksfoot (orchard grass), oats, barley and wheat for hay as well.

There's lots of good plants growing in my garden already without me doing a thing about it - beech, hawthorn, ash, apple, pear, plantain, vetch, sweet woodruff, ground elder, selfheal, clover, yarrow, raspberry, blackberry, loganberry, wild rose, geranium, dandelion, rosebay/great willowherb, lavender, lovage, borage and lots of grasses. And a 10 minute walk yields nettles, blackthorn and hazel.

I suppose the grasses fall in the "hay" category, but I'm not sure about the rest. My boys get forage instead of veggies/fruit but I give much more forage than I would veggies, if that makes sense. I just go by their poos to see if I'm getting it right, and so far so good. I'm certain that twigs and bark and stuff like that are much higher fibre than "human" veggies though, so perhaps they don't fit neatly into the "veg" category.

I thought about chucking the seeds over the garden, but my dog goes in it aswell, didn't strike me as very hygenic for poor Dylan. We do get bramble but it's not long since we had some gardening done and weed killer sprayed all over so I would rather not risk it.

The mix seeds arrived this morning and I have made the other two trays up. Debating putting them outside but a bit concerned about roaming cats using them as toilets

Back