• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which is more important?

Julia25

Alpha Buck
I was just wondering which is more 'important' to do first.

To spay a female or neuter a male. I understand that they should both be done but i have heard of pairs of male/female rabbits when only one of them has been spayed/neutered.

I understand that females can become aggressive :shock: so is it more important to spay the girls first than boy?

Just curious :roll::wave:

I do my boys first i currently have 2 pairs both boys done the girls will be going in soon to be spayed

With 2 babies I would neuter the male first as they mature faster.

But I think it is much more important to spay a female as it cuts out the massive risk of uterine cancer.

To be honest for happy healthy bunnies with a strong bond both buns really need to be done.

To spay a female or neuter a male. I understand that they should both be done but i have heard of pairs of male/female rabbits when only one of them has been spayed/neutered.

I understand that females can become aggressive :shock: so is it more important to spay the girls first than boy?

From a health point of view, spaying a female is priority. They can develop uterine cancer as young as 5 years old.

What age are the Rabbits ? If they are both babies then the Buck is likely to be mature enough to have castrated by the age of 14-16 weeks when the testicles have descended. Spaying a Doe is usually best done when she is about 5-6 months of age.

Or are the Rabbit already adults and if so how old are they ?

Thanks for all the replies. I do not own a rabbit currently as my single female lop passed away a few months ago.

If you try to keep an entire buck with a neutered female he will very likely pester her asll day and night and eventually, depending on how patient the female is, she will attack him sooner or later.

If I had 2 single buns..a male and female I would get the female done first ...purely to get the worst operation out of the way. I've hated spaying my does .a necessary evil but I just felt so sorry for them.
The boys have all bounced back very quickly.
But I suppose the boy should really be done first if they're young buns.

Back