• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First winter with my bunnies - advice on runs!

C&B

New Kit
Hi everyone!

I'm after a bit of advice about winter.

We got our two buns in June, so this is our first winter with them. They live outside on the patio in a hutch with run attached underneath, and we move them to a separate 13ft by 4ft run on our lawn every morning for the day. We move the run every 2 days, by which time they've eaten the grass and are ready for a new patch - we've not had to cut the lawn since getting them!

The grass already isn't growing as quickly as winter draws in though, and I'm wondering what's best to do during the winter months. We have room on our patio to put the run on there, with a runaround tube to join it to the main hutch, and I've got a waterproof cover for the hutch which I'm going to put blankets underneath to keep that nice and snug. I can do the same with the run, but they won't be getting access to grass - is that ok if I make sure there's plenty of hay? Any other suggestions or advice much appreciated!

L

I haven't had to pull out the lawn mower out either! In the past i have covered the hutch and maybe like half of the run.
Mine didn't have much grass through the winter either, maybe buy some red igrass or extra veggies. But grass isn't essential as in the wild it would be in shortage and not taste very nice (less nutritious) anyway.
They should be fine.

I would make sure the run under the hutch is waterproof but don't bother with the other one much as you already have one run covered. Rabbit's don't mind weather as much as we think :lol:

Yes putting the run on the patio for the winter sounds the best idea as the grass will probably turn to mud now it isn't growing so much. You shouldn't need blankets under the cover but ok if you want to put them there. Keeping the hutch dry is important.

Honestly, rabbits cope with the cold MUCH better than they cope with the heat. As long as they have a cosy, draft-free, dry place to snuggle up in you really don't need to worry about them getting cold. The patio idea for the run sounds good too, otherwise they will be sat in mud within a couple of months. If you give them plenty of extra hay they will be just fine. :)

The patio will be much more practical in the winter months as the grass will just churn into mud. Just remember next spring to re introduce the grass gradually before giving them permanent access again as if you let them gorge on it all of a sudden it can upset their digestive system.

Back