• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advise needed for regnant rabbit

Hi
Took my rabbit to get neutered but found out she is pregnant so could not get it done .
I need advice on how to look after her
How much do I feed her?
She weight 2.2kg
Normally I feed her 50g of burges adult nuggets
I have increased it slightly to about 65grams
How much do I actually need to feed her
I read up on wiki where it says looking after pregnant rabbits and it says two days before due date reduce her food by 50%. is this correct?
Any advice will be much appreciated
Thanks

Hi
Took my rabbit to get neutered but found out she is pregnant so could not get it done .
I need advice on how to look after her
How much do I feed her?
She weight 2.2kg
Normally I feed her 50g of burges adult nuggets
I have increased it slightly to about 65grams
How much do I actually need to feed her
I read up on wiki where it says looking after pregnant rabbits and it says two days before due date reduce her food by 50%. is this correct?
Any advice will be much appreciated
Thanks

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

I would keep her on the same regime as you are already on. In my experience pregnant does don't need more food until after the babies are born then they love fresh food, ie grass, Dandelions, Spring Greens etc but only if she has already eaten these before. (Don't want to make her ill).

I have just noticed that your rabbit is 8 months old and must inform you that 50 grams of food per day will be too much and will make your rabbit overweight, and it usually means the bunny doesn't eat enough hay as it is filling up on pellets. I am sure you don't want her to become overweight as it is not easy to get the weight off as you can't just stop feeding her. What breed is she?

Oh dear. Did the vet say how far pregnant she might be? In all honesty, reading your previous posts, I would be unsure about that 'diagnosis' as the male rabbit you have seems to be extremely young, and it's not possible to palpate a pregnancy until reasonably late, so if they can feel a pregnancy it would suggest that the male was far too young to have achieved such a thing.

Personally I would see if you can find another vet who is confident and experienced at spaying and get a second opinion to see if they can feel a pregnancy and/or will spay a rabbit who might be in early pregnancy. If they can't actively palpate a pregnancy, then I would get it done. Female rabbits are induced ovulators which means that a female doesn't actually get pregnant straight away after mating, as it's only then that she releases an egg.

Best of luck x

Hi
I feed her 50g because on the packaging it says 50-60g. She does eat a lot of hay so I'm happy about that. She gets check ups every 5/6 weeks for her weight and hey say she is perfect weight. She weights 2.2kg. She is a lion head lop, if 50 is too much, how much you guys recommend. She is 8/9 months. I feed her burges excell adult nuggets and she eats about 3kg which is a large bale of hay from pets at home every 3 weeks. Some will say their hay is not good but I've tried all other hay and she only eats that one for some reason.

I got her checked by 2 vets on the day and both said she is. I know sometimes it can be false pregnancy but I would rather look after her as if she was pregnant just in case she is. I don't want her getting sick or not enough nutrients. Also she has had all the symptoms of pregnancy which are mood swings, being lazy, lying on her side etc. I know it can still be false pregnancy but il rather be safer than sorry

Also
Yes I thought the male was too young too but looks like the pet shop told me his wrong age because the vet thinks he is 12-16 weeks. Which is old enough and I always kept them together during the day thinking he is too young to get her pregnant but at the vet they said he is older and he got castrated/ neutered that same day.

The amount that is on the packaging is generally more than most on here feed. I give my adult lionheads about a handful of dry feel every day. They have unlimited hay and a few greens and forage as well.

Great that your boy has been done. Are you planning to keep the babies or dont you know yet?

Back